Velocity Reviews

-   -   Whats the difference? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t493930-whats-the-difference.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?= 02-11-2007 08:17 PM

Whats the difference?

What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions

John Barnes 02-11-2007 08:47 PM

Re: Whats the difference?

If you have 4gig or less ram and no native 64-bit programs, the main
difference is the additional security. Offset by the difficulties finding
drivers and programs which run properly.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?= 02-12-2007 12:06 AM

RE: Whats the difference?

1. You can access more than 4GB of memory on 64 bit systems.
2. You must use 64 bit drivers and there aren't that many.

--
P Hutchison

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaQ==?= 02-12-2007 04:37 PM

RE: Whats the difference?

I was about to post a similar question. So unless I am planning on haveing a
system with more than 4GB and not use native 64 bit apps I should go with the
32 bit version due to the driver issues?

Thanks
Dani

Charlie Russel - MVP 02-12-2007 05:01 PM

Re: Whats the difference?

Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does, go
with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
improved driver requirements in Vista x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

BSchnur 02-12-2007 11:53 PM

Re: Whats the difference?

> Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does, go
> with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
> improved driver requirements in Vista x64.

At the very least, they will present a new and exciting challenge for
those seeking to undermine the security of Vista....

--
Barry Schnur

Charlie Russel - MVP 02-13-2007 01:14 AM

Re: Whats the difference?

Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer overflow
protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care of.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:MPG.203aabfcf3b183a798974d@msnews.microsoft.c om...

BSchnur 02-13-2007 02:55 AM

Re: Whats the difference?

> Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer overflow
> protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care of.

Understood -- we only approve of the most clever hacks.

--
Barry Schnur

Tony Sperling 02-13-2007 09:31 AM

Re: Whats the difference?

Many, many years ago, when I arrived at work early one morning there was a
bit of commotion - the place had had a nightly visitor. Later, I overheard
the boss trying to persuade the insurance guy that the locks were all in
order. The reply was: "Yea, don't worry. We only have locks to keep the
honest people out, anyway!"

I guess, that is as much as we can expect. The rest is a battle on human
creativity!

Tony. . .

news:MPG.203ad6a787149922989753@msnews.microsoft.c om...