Velocity Reviews

-   -   Studying for 70-290 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t49386-studying-for-70-290-a.html)

conner172 05-09-2004 07:53 PM

Studying for 70-290

I'm pretty new to the Windows Server OSes. I started working on NT 4.0 in
1999, Windows Server 2000 in 2001, and Windows Server 2003 just a few months
ago. I'm trying to pass my first Windows Server 2003 exam - 70-290. I
attended the Microsoft 2273A class, read the Sybex 70-290 Study Guide, and
the Microsoft Press 70-290 study guide. However, when I took a MeasureUp
practice exam, I failed with a 53% and did not pass any objective out of
five. I admit the possibility exists that I'm just too stupid to pass the
exam, however I've been successfully working on networks and servers for
over 20 years. The most difficult aspects of the exam seemed to be where you
are presented with a very long scenario - I just can't keep the facts
straight. Does anyone have a tried and true method for how to handle
questions such as these? I'm going back to the books, but I would appreciate
some study and exam taking tips.

Mike 05-10-2004 05:30 AM

Studying for 70-290

Im with you there. I spent a good 3 months reviewing my
books etc. for the 290 exam, opened some test questions
and also failed misserably. I see going through questions
has helped a ton, finding out why the answer was whatever
it was has helped me understand more. I am taking my exam
this morning just to see if that has really helped,
unfortunately there are only so many test questions and
if I read the same ones again I think im going to puke. I
see there are tons of questions on the net but watch out
for those a lot of the times the answers are wrong so if
you do use those questions research each question,
understand it and do not ever assume the answers they
gave are right. Rather avoid anything to do with them,
Prometric have a recommended test preperation site, that
seems pretty reliable.

Good luck...

=?Utf-8?B?UkVH?= 05-10-2004 06:21 AM

RE: Studying for 70-290

You ned to drill down on the exam objectives. A good source for the domain objectives is he MS-Press books for self study. PArt II of the self paced guides are exam preparation. Each exam objective is covered. It is best to understand the material. I found after reading the book and MOC and several others i still was not reaching proficiency. That's with hours of hands on as well, Going thrpough PART II answering the questions then looking at the answers reading the explanations and taking notes on the explanations, creating my own study review guides. I have used sybex, New riders, MS-press, Coriols, Dummies and others not relying on any one source except hands on hours of study.

The exams are not meant to be eas. I have not used measure up much but have used SELFTEST and found them to be extremely helpful. I to date on;y failed one exam 70-229 and an Associate MCT refered to 229 as some twisted form of evil
hang in if you think you got the mustard.

The idea is the cert is valuable because it is har

reg

Mike 05-10-2004 12:23 PM

Studying for 70-290

What a crock of sh1t
Months of hard work for a Money making ripoff scam.
Prometric can officially kiss my ........ What the hell
was with the programming and the slow slow slow test.
Dont bother with books, MSPRESS has maybe 1/10th of what
was in that exam. I suggest going through the MSPRESS
book and then drilling down into each word, remembering
each phrase, character and how each word links with each
sentence etc etc etc. Then spend a few months working in
a live enviroment and capture every screen into your
photographic memory. Maybe then go sit this exam.
I work with this crap all day every day, its the most
useless exam that will not benefit anyone ever.

Maybe this is the reason there are so many fake MCSE's
Go with the experienced and proven rather than the flacky
paper.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= 05-10-2004 12:36 PM

Re: Studying for 70-290

Mike wrote:
> What a crock of sh1t
> Months of hard work for a Money making ripoff scam.
> Prometric can officially kiss my ........ What the hell
> was with the programming and the slow slow slow test.
> Dont bother with books, MSPRESS has maybe 1/10th of what
> was in that exam. I suggest going through the MSPRESS
> book and then drilling down into each word, remembering
> each phrase, character and how each word links with each
> sentence etc etc etc. Then spend a few months working in
> a live enviroment and capture every screen into your
> photographic memory. Maybe then go sit this exam.
> I work with this crap all day every day, its the most
> useless exam that will not benefit anyone ever.

You sound bitter. Are you bitter?

Neil 05-10-2004 01:09 PM

Re: Studying for 70-290

FrisbeeŽ <billLASTINIT@dasi-software.com> wrote in news:#Zw3otoNEHA.808
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> You sound bitter. Are you bitter?

is it possible Mike didn't pass?

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Mike T. 05-10-2004 02:08 PM

Re: Studying for 70-290

"FrisbeeŽ" <billLASTINIT@dasi-software.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> You sound bitter. Are you bitter?

Hell, I'M bitter, and I didn't even take the test.

Mike 05-10-2004 05:44 PM

Re: Studying for 70-290

You guest it - 694 / 700 Bitter is not the word.. hahaha
But thats how the cookie crumbles so I must deal with it,
Monday I write again.

Eduardo Escudero 05-11-2004 05:51 PM

Re: Studying for 70-290

Don't complain, because I suspended with 695 of 700, with an exam that is
not good to see our knowledge, it is good to made a mistake, or so that
people are studied the questions by heart.
This you this transforming into a wrong business.
It is not necessary to wait 14 days examine you again?

Lost 05-11-2004 10:39 PM

Re: Studying for 70-290

WTF