Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Camera wizard no longer mounts/transfers photos to hard di (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t493722-windows-camera-wizard-no-longer-mounts-transfers-photos-to-hard-di.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?= 01-23-2007 02:51 AM

Windows Camera wizard no longer mounts/transfers photos to hard di

Hi,
I have a "new" problem trying to get pictures from my Kodak DC280 camera.
It used to be that I could just plug in the camera (USB), set it to
"connect", turn it on and Windows would pop up with a "scanner and camera"
wizard (or something like that) and show me thumbnails of the photos that
were in the camera. I then had the option of "copying" them to my hard disk.
I do not use and have never used Kodak's EasyShare software, as Windows
always gave me the correct level of function that I wanted.

Now I've upgraded from XP Pro x64 Trial version to the
purchased RTM version and I lost my ability to transfer pictures. The new
version also includes XP Pro X64 SP2 preinstalled (no, SP1 on this version
of windows has no relationship to SP2 on non-Pro Windows or 32-bit Windows
versions), where I had manually added SP2 to the old trial version.

Anyway, I can no longer get the camera "mounted" and transfer files. Out of
desperation, I tried installing Kodak's EasyShare to get the "device
connection
software", but that didn't help, so I took it back off.

Just to make things clear: When I plug in the camera, set it to "connect"
and turn it on, I get the "ding" from Windows and an "invitation" to install
a new driver (it never used to ask to install a driver). No matter what
machinations I use, I am unable to find/locate/use/whatever an appropriate
driver. In fact, there isn't even a "digital camera" entry in the "add
driver" facility, as Kodak said I would find. So, I don't know what's going
on.
This seems to be the same problem that many others are having also, as
described in the 32-bit groups, but the only solutions I've found are to 1)
buy a card reader; 2) run the "autoplay" fix..

From reading through other discussion groups, the problem seems likely to be
related to something having gone wrong with "autoplay" for
camers/videos/imaging devices. MS published a fix for this, but this fix
(autoplay.exe) is not available for X64 versions of windows. I have
attempted to get to the "camera" to turn on autoplay, but it doesn't even
show up in the "removable devices" section of "my computer" (despite the fact
that Windows "dings" when it's plugged in and turned on). It doesn't show up
in disk management, either, but I didn't expect it to, anyway.

So if anyone has any more thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks,
--
Tom

Tony Sperling 01-23-2007 11:39 AM

Re: Windows Camera wizard no longer mounts/transfers photos to hard di

Tom,

does the 'Scanners and Cameras' applet in Control Panel list your camera? If
so, right click and go to 'Properties' and you'll find an 'Event' tab that
may help you, if not then you may actually have to use this applet to
manually 'Add Device', since your camera isn't using a driver - otherwise,
did you install anything that reconfigures the associations for multimedia
file types?

Tony Sperling 01-23-2007 10:53 PM

Re: Windows Camera wizard no longer mounts/transfers photos to har

This sounds crazy - don't trust the Kodak web site if it seems not to have
anything listed, it may be a Beta driver and I think you should e-mail their
support and tell your story and ask them in a friendly tone what on earth
you should be doing?

One other thing - just because the wizard asks for a disk doesn't mean you
have to have a physical disk, you can download a file and put it anywhere on
your HD and then after clicking 'Have Disk' you browse to where you put the
file you downloaded. If you download a *.ZIP file, you need to 'Unzip' it
first, prior to entering the wizard. I keep a 'temp' folder from under the
root ( C:\temp) for this purpose - in your case extract the ZIP file (if
that is what you get?) to ..\temp\kodak and then fire up the wizard and
point it to that location and it should install from there.

Tony. . .

"Tom" <OneNoOne@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Thanks, Tony
>
> Unfortunately, when I open the "scanners and camera" wizard, it shows no
> devices and gives me the option of "add new device". When I click on "add
> device" and go through the "welcome" screen, I get a screen that says
> "Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard" on top of screen, and on down the
> screen, "which camera or scanner do you want to install?", followed by a
> "Select the manufacturer..." and then a list of drivers to select from.
> However, it does not list any drivers; it says "(unable to find any

drivers
> for this device)". Optionally, I can click "have disk", but I don't have

and
> apparently can't get a disk (or anything) from Kodak for a driver-only

disk.

> So, I'm stuck here.
>
> I've tried everything I can think of, including "update driver" in the
> device manager, etc., but always get to the "(unable to find any driver

for
> this type of device)" sooner or later. Since I can get a driver

installed, I