Velocity Reviews

-   -   X64, Quicken, Vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t493311-x64-quicken-vista.html)

DP 11-24-2006 10:30 PM

X64, Quicken, Vista

I realize I should post this in Quicken and/or Vista forums as well, but I
figured I should start with the brain trust here, a bunch of truly smart
people.

I've got x64 and Vista (RC1 -- Build 5600) dual booting. The other day, I
reinstalled Quicken on the Vista partition. Already had it working fine on
x64. As best I could tell, Quicken was working fine on both OSes at first.
I could open and save in x64 and then open in Vista and all the stuff I had
updated while in x64 is updated in Vista. And vice versa.

Now, however, Vista seems to be stuck on an old Quicken file, missing recent
transactions, etc. I even tried opening the Quicken file while in Vista by
double-clicking on the file that I KNOW is the working Quicken file and had
just been updated while under x64. But it still brings up the old file
(without the recent transactions). And when I closed out Quicken in Vista,
that file remained unchanged (the date of the last revision remained the
same). I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Quicken saves a
file you've opened up, even if you didn't make any changes in the file
itself. So the modification date should have been different, but it wasn't.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on here and what I might do to fix
things?

I'm not trying too many options right now, because I don't want to hose my
Quicken file. The Vista and x64 "versions" of the file are about a week
apart now. (I know, I know, I can back up the good file so that I'll have it
on hand if I do hose it. It's just that I first discovered this problem a
couple days ago, and what with Thanksgiving, etc, I haven't had a lot of
time to futz with it.)

Dennis Pack 11-24-2006 11:57 PM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

DP:
I use Quicken in a multi-boot, XP, x64, Vista x86 and Vista x64
without any problems. I keep all my data files in a separate data partition
so that no matter what operating system I'm using I'm working with the same
data. In your case I'm using the assumption that in x64 you have the updated
data. While running Vista go to computer in the right column, double click
your x64 partition, double click program files x86, double click Quicken
then double click xxxx.QDF (in my case Dennis.QDF), that will open Quicken
and the updated file will be opened. After doing this the first time every
time you open Quicken that file will open. The end result is that no matter
what operating system you're using you will be opening the same file. Have a
great day.

DP 11-25-2006 01:36 AM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

Thanks, Dennis (BTW, the D in DP is for Dennis as well).
However, I would point you one line from the original post:
>"I even tried opening the Quicken file while in Vista by double-clicking on
>the file that I KNOW is the working Quicken file and had just been updated
>while under x64."

Despite all that, it still pulled up an out of date version when I tried
that. And when I closed it, Windows explorer did not show any change in the
modified date (ie., it still showed the last time it was modified in
Quicken-via-x64). And, yes, I did refresh the folder, just to be sure.
And as I said in the OP. It seemed to work fine at first. Both Quicken/OS
combinations seemed to be updating the data and calling up the current
version of the data when starting up.
I am NOT ruling out user error, but I think I'm pretty close to ruling that
out. Meanwhile, I'll keep noodling around with it as time permits. I will
report back to the group if I have any significant new info.

Dennis, just to give you little more detail: My working Quicken file is
actually on the Vista partition. The Quicken-via-x64 and the
Quicken-via-Vista both access that file. Vista is 64-bit.

Thanks for your help so far.

John Barnes 11-25-2006 02:03 AM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

Personally, I would make a copy of the file in another location. I would
then access that file thru the file dropdown - open, from one of your
systems, make some obvious changes to it. Close it. Reopen normally and
see if the changes are there. Close normally. Boot into the other system,
access thru file dropdown - open and confirm the obvious changes. If there,
make obvious changes and close it. I would then reopen normally (assume it
accesses the last file) and see if the changes are there, then go back to
the first system and open normally and see if you are indeed accessing the
same file now.

Dennis Pack 11-25-2006 03:18 AM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

Dennis:
Sorry, I missed that you were working with the same file. I agree
with John B. about keeping a copy of the file in another location. There is
a conflict between Vista and XP or x64 when dual booting with restore points
and other virtual folders. With the data file being in Vista when updating
the QDF file Vista may be keeping the update under user data virtual store
and losing it when booting into x64. Moving the data files over to a Quicken
folder in x64 may resolve the problem.

DP 11-25-2006 04:49 AM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

> With the data file being in Vista when updating the QDF file Vista may be
> keeping the update under user data virtual store and losing it when
> booting into x64.

Thanks for the tips, both of you.
Dennis, what you describe above sounds like something analagous to (but
obviously not the same as) caching web pages.
I wonder if there is a way in Vista to do something analgous to clearing the
cache -- in other words, clearing out this "virtual store" you're talking
about.

Also, keep in mind that though the QDF file is on the Vista partition, it is
x64 that gets the file "right" and Vista that calls up an outdated version
of the same file. I don't know if that is the opposite of what you're
thinking the case may be.

John Barnes 11-25-2006 01:16 PM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

Both XP and Vista write any cached pages on shutdown or in Vista Sleep. The
only way a cached page should not get written is if you turn off from the
power switch.

DP 11-25-2006 06:08 PM

Re: X64, Quicken, Vista

Just to show you all how weird this has gotten:

1) Using Quicken under x64 (I'll call it Qx64 from now on), I changed the
password for the data file. Remember, in Qx64, the data file is the
up-to-date one.
Then I go to Vista, find that data file in the place it's supposed to be,
double click on it, and Quicken will not open the file using the NEW
password. It will open the file if I input the OLD password. Weird, huh?

2) I didn't realize until today that Quicken has a function that will find
Quicken files on your computer. I have four partitions. Using Quicken under
Vista, it will find quicken files on three of those partitions. The one
partition it won't find the files on is the very partition that Vista is on!

It's gotten to the point now where I'm less interested in getting Quicken to
work in Vista. I can just stick with Qx64 until Vista is actually being
sold. But I'm more intrigued by this issue (if I'm reading everything
correctly): That a program loaded on Vista and on x64 can have a different
"image" of the same data file, depending on which OS you're using.

One thing I haven't tried yet is validating the data file under
Quicken/Vista. Before I do that, though, I've got to make sure I've got
valid backup copies created by Qx64.

Will report back on that as soon as I have the time to do it.