Velocity Reviews

-   -   32bit or 64 bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t493242-32bit-or-64-bit.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEdlZQ==?= 11-16-2006 10:06 AM

32bit or 64 bit

Hi, Just after a bit of advice,
Recently took delivery of a new 64bit HP laptop, which I'll be using to run
Vista. I do a lot of onsite IT consultancy work and use a wide range of apps
from nero, office, visio, ethereal, packet sniffing stuff, vmware e.t.c.
Just wondering if I'll be better off using the 32 bit version rather than 64
bit for app compatability ????

John Barnes 11-16-2006 12:24 PM

Re: 32bit or 64 bit

I personally had many programs that would not install or run properly on
64-bit. Some because of drivers others just wouldn't install or run.

mikeyhsd 11-16-2006 01:01 PM

Re: 32bit or 64 bit

way to many programs that do not run on vista at this time.
for max use best to use 32 bit xp pro.
64 bit xp pro still has driver issues more than program compatibility ones

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

Charlie Russel - MVP 11-16-2006 08:05 PM

Re: 32bit or 64 bit

Please read:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

It was written for XP x64, but many of the same issues are still true and
will be for the early days of Vista.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jud Hendrix 11-16-2006 10:09 PM

Re: 32bit or 64 bit

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:06:02 -0800, Rob Gee <Rob
Gee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, Just after a bit of advice,
>Recently took delivery of a new 64bit HP laptop, which I'll be using to run
>Vista. I do a lot of onsite IT consultancy work and use a wide range of apps
>from nero, office, visio, ethereal, packet sniffing stuff, vmware e.t.c.
>Just wondering if I'll be better off using the 32 bit version rather than 64
>bit for app compatability ????

The applications you have don't look as if they will really benefit from
running on 64-bit. Besides it will probably be difficult to get them to run
on 64-bits. I would just stick to 32-bit.

jud

Colin Barnhorst 11-17-2006 06:45 AM

Re: 32bit or 64 bit

All of the programs you listed will install and run on x64. Check your
laptop's mfg and make sure that the modem and NIC have Vista x64 drivers.
You did not mention other peripherals. Drivers, not software look to be
your main concern. Question: If you are satisfied with the performance of
your software under XP 32bit, why not stick with Vista 32bit? If it ain't
broke, don't fix it.