Velocity Reviews

-   -   reformat (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492768-reformat.html)

=?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?= 09-07-2006 03:49 PM

reformat

How can you reformat XP Pro and install XP Pro 64 without the disc. My cd
player ate it.

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin] 09-07-2006 04:31 PM

Re: reformat

You can format XP Pro x86 by using the XP Pro x86 disk:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

As for installing XP Pro x64, you need the disk to install it. When you say
your CD drive, are you trying to say its also damaged? If so, you need to
get a replacement. Or get a paper clip, straighten it out, and push it into
the small hole on the drive and hopefully it should eject.
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

=?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?= 09-07-2006 04:49 PM

Re: reformat

"Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" wrote:

> You can format XP Pro x86 by using the XP Pro x86 disk:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348
>
> As for installing XP Pro x64, you need the disk to install it. When you say
> your CD drive, are you trying to say its also damaged? If so, you need to
> get a replacement. Or get a paper clip, straighten it out, and push it into
> the small hole on the drive and hopefully it should eject.

I have order Xp Pro 64, so you are saying that when I install Xp pro 64 I do
not need Xp Pro to reformat. As for my Xp Pro, Yes I have removed it from my
cd player but the player broke my disc in about 7 places and the tray came
out in Pieces. I have replaced the cd drive.

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin] 09-07-2006 05:18 PM

Re: reformat

If you are installing XP Pro x64 on the existing drive on which XP Pro x86
is installed, you have to format that drive. Both cannot co-exist on the
same drive and you cannot upgrade from XP Pro x86 to XP Pro x64, clean
install only. You can dual boot both operating systems by installing XP Pro
x64 on a logical partition after XP Pro x86.

John Barnes 09-07-2006 05:22 PM

Re: reformat

As Andre said, you can reformat as part of the install process using your
X64 install CD

=?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?= 09-07-2006 05:31 PM

Re: reformat

"Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" wrote:

> If you are installing XP Pro x64 on the existing drive on which XP Pro x86
> is installed, you have to format that drive. Both cannot co-exist on the
> same drive and you cannot upgrade from XP Pro x86 to XP Pro x64, clean
> install only. You can dual boot both operating systems by installing XP Pro
> x64 on a logical partition after XP Pro x86.

I understand that I need to reformat, My question again is, do I need XP Pro
to format? Again I do not have XP Pro because my cd player busted it all up.
I have just received XP Pro 64 as we speak.

=?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?= 09-07-2006 05:46 PM

Re: reformat

"John Barnes" wrote:

> As Andre said, you can reformat as part of the install process using your
> X64 install CD

Thank you so much ,both of you.

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin] 09-07-2006 06:02 PM

Re: reformat

As John said, sorry for the little confusion, I just assumed since you have
an XP disk regardless of the edition.

Colin Barnhorst 09-08-2006 06:12 PM

Re: reformat

No. If you need to do that you can do it during the installation of XP x64
when you are all set up for that. Since x64 requires a clean installation
anyway, formatting should not be necessary as long as the present format is
NTFS. Of course you may reformat (quick or full) if you wish. You will see
the options after you select the target partition for the installation of
x64.