Velocity Reviews

-   -   SATA question - a quickie! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492608-sata-question-a-quickie.html)

Tony Sperling 08-14-2006 10:30 AM

SATA question - a quickie!

A question just landed in my in-box, someone who read one of my
contributions somewhere wants to know if his SATA 150 HD will work on his
newly acquired SATA2 only Mobo.

My instinct says that with the suitable motherboard(chipset) driver, it
should work as a SATA 150 drive.

Any objections?

Tony. . .

(I will, of course, instruct the person to be informative of the general
context in the future and to post to the un-named group for everybody's
benefit)

Dominic Payer 08-14-2006 11:43 AM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

Should work well without any adjustments.
Some SATA 2 drives need to be jumpered to work as SATA 1 drives on older
motherboards.

John Barnes 08-14-2006 12:22 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

One of the requirements of the SATAII spec was backward compatibility.

Tony Sperling 08-14-2006 12:38 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

O.K. - Thanks!

Good point about the jumper!

Tony. . .

Tony Sperling 08-14-2006 12:44 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

Yes, I did think it was. Being confronted like this, and not recalling the
context I thought it pertinent to put my answer to some public scrutiny.

+, we might be looking forward to a new customer?

Thanks, guys!

Tony. . .

John Barnes 08-14-2006 12:44 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

This is the opposite of what you described. This is to make a new drive
work on an OLD mobo. You described an old drive on a NEW mobo.

Tony Sperling 08-14-2006 01:23 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

Well. . .actually, I think both are quite new (newish?). Someone trying to
buy competent gear at a good price? What was nice about the jumper is that
it merrits remembering across different situations - your understanding fits
precisely as you expressed it! :-)

Tony. . .

John Barnes 08-14-2006 01:40 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

Just for the record, the 'jumper' can be either physical or firmware
(Hitachi has a firmware, Samsung has physical)

Charlie Russel - MVP 08-14-2006 02:08 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

Should work fine. You can have some issues with the reverse situation
(SATAII drives on SATAI mobo), but most drives have a jumper (physical or
firmware) to force them to be stupid. In this case, your mobo knows that
there are SATAI drives out there and backwards compatibility is built in.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling 08-14-2006 02:08 PM

Re: SATA question - a quickie!

Gee, I've never bumped into one of those. Notebook stuff, perchance?

Tony. . .