Velocity Reviews

-   -   From single core to dual core (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492537-from-single-core-to-dual-core.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 08-05-2006 03:01 PM

From single core to dual core

Will x64 recognize the new processor if I, turn off my pc, remove the single
core one and place the dual core one, boot?
Carlos

Tony Sperling 08-05-2006 03:05 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

If your Board and BIOS supports it, that is my understanding. Yes.

Tony. . .

Aaron Kelley 08-05-2006 03:17 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Yes.
On your first boot with the new CPU your computer will run through the
"Found New Hardware" business (finding an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" and some
other things) and I don't think it will actually use both cores until you
reboot again.

- Aaron

Charlie Russel - MVP 08-05-2006 03:44 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Carlos -
As pointed out, yes, it will recognize it. It will take a reboot. And
you should then install the AMD driver (another reboot, I'm afraid) for dual
core: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...ties/Setup.exe

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Hollingsworth 08-05-2006 04:00 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

In article <OOZQBJKuGHA.5056@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, a_kelley@baylor.edu
(Aaron Kelley) wrote:

> *From:* "Aaron Kelley" <a_kelley@baylor.edu>
> *Date:* Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:17:22 -0500
>
> Yes.
> On your first boot with the new CPU your computer will run through
> the "Found New Hardware" business (finding an "ACPI Multiprocessor
> PC" and some other things) and I don't think it will actually use
> both cores until you reboot again.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Will x64 recognize the new processor if I, turn off my pc, remove
> > the single
> > core one and place the dual core one, boot?
> > Carlos

WHS

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 08-05-2006 04:26 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Thanks everybody for your prompt and clear replies.
Now I'll have to speak with the different vendors here in Rio Grande and see
how much can a dual-core uP can cost (surely 50% more than in the 1st world!)
Now here goes another one that may have been answered elsewhere:
Does the OS benefit of the dual-core or is it only the apps that do?
Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP 08-05-2006 04:29 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Everything benefits.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes 08-05-2006 06:29 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Just curious, Carlos, why you would install an x2 into a 939 instead of
waiting until you can replace the board, memory and cpu with an AM2

Colin Barnhorst 08-05-2006 06:37 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Price?

Aaron Kelley 08-05-2006 07:16 PM

Re: From single core to dual core

Yep, X2's just got really cheap and one would make a nice upgrade for a 939
system running a single-core CPU...
As for the benefits, like Charlie said, everything benefits, but it doesn't
make everything twice as fast necessarily. I'm sure there are more
discussions on this that can be easily found in these newsgroups and
elsewhere on the Internet.

- Aaron