Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hard drive properties displayed incorrectly (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492516-hard-drive-properties-displayed-incorrectly.html)

=?Utf-8?B?YWxwaGFtYWxlMzAz?= 08-02-2006 03:23 AM

Hard drive properties displayed incorrectly

Hard drive is 80 G on laptop, properties indicates that only 7 g is
available. Cannot locate where the files or programs might be. Laptop is
only 3 months old and I haven't put much on it yet, besides some music, not
nearly as much as indicated. Looking at each of the folders separately in
the C drive does not add up to 15 g, and the rest is not close, I can not
locate what is using this space and also causing it to slow down as well.
The pc is a HP pavilion dv8000 with a 64 bit Turion 1800 MHZ with 768 ram.

Colin Barnhorst 08-02-2006 03:34 AM

Re: Hard drive properties displayed incorrectly

Run a disk defrag and see what properties show afterwards.

"alphamale303" <alphamale303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hard drive is 80 G on laptop, properties indicates that only 7 g is
> available. Cannot locate where the files or programs might be. Laptop is
> only 3 months old and I haven't put much on it yet, besides some music,
> not
> nearly as much as indicated. Looking at each of the folders separately in
> the C drive does not add up to 15 g, and the rest is not close, I can not
> locate what is using this space and also causing it to slow down as well.
> The pc is a HP pavilion dv8000 with a 64 bit Turion 1800 MHZ with 768 ram.

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2 08-02-2006 03:52 AM

Re: Hard drive properties displayed incorrectly

A disk cleanup may also help.

Jud Hendrix 08-02-2006 06:40 AM

Re: Hard drive properties displayed incorrectly

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:23:01 -0700, alphamale303
<alphamale303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Try a chkdsk to see if their are any errors, and do a scan for malware.

jud

Tony Sperling 08-02-2006 08:40 AM

Re: Hard drive properties displayed incorrectly

There is also a possibility that if you had the laptop delivered without the
System CD's, you might have those sitting on some kind of Restore
Partition - this would typically be hidden such that it isn't counted along
with everything else.

And then if you have the 'View File Types' option in 'Folder Options' set to
the default then there are masses of files that might not be counted and
this certainly wouldn't add up when you are counting what you can see.

This alone hardly accounts for all that missing space, this will require
that you might have miscalculated your own contribution to the situation
somewhat.

Is someone else having access to the machine? It only takes a MPEG Movie to
account for much of whatever space is missing.

Tony. . .