Velocity Reviews

-   -   Handle Count Limit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492367-handle-count-limit.html)

Chad Dinerman 07-06-2006 06:25 PM

Handle Count Limit

Does anyone know if the Handle Limit of about 10,000 / app is still
there in the 64 bit versions?

Thanks

-Chad

John Boy 07-06-2006 06:42 PM

Re: Handle Count Limit

If you go to www.microsoft.com and enter "Handle
Limit" in the search block you can read the
information for yourself.

Colin Barnhorst 07-07-2006 01:38 AM

Re: Handle Count Limit

And which of the many links there do you propose he read?
Not much of an anwer, John Boy.

Tony Sperling 07-07-2006 09:07 AM

Re: Handle Count Limit

You might be better off directing this question to a programmer/developer
NG, and you may want to inform them of what type of handle you are
requesting.

Tony. . .

news:1152210340.555169.272550@s53g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...

Chad Dinerman 07-07-2006 03:43 PM

Re: Handle Count Limit

Sorry I was vague before, I wanted to know if the number of NT User
Handles per Process is still limited to 10,000.

This was a hardcoded limit in XP that could be bumped up to 18,000 with
a hotfix ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327699 ).

I'm hoping that this limit has been removed in the x64 versions.
Because it's an OS limit I figured here is the best place to ask.

Thanks

-Chad

Tony Sperling 07-07-2006 05:06 PM

Re: Handle Count Limit

Oh, I see - Well, a somewhat vague guess would be if they made a HotFix for
that one, good chance you are lucky???

news:1152287000.003314.69910@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] 07-10-2006 10:28 PM

Re: Handle Count Limit

Hello Tony and Chad,
And your guess would be correct Tony.
The same limits for 32 bit would be applicable for 32-bit as for 64-bit.
So that hotfix is in the x64 release.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Tony Sperling" <tony.sperling@dbREMOVEmail.dk>
<Subject: Re: Handle Count Limit
<Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:06:54 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Oh, I see - Well, a somewhat vague guess would be if they made a HotFix for
<that one, good chance you are lucky???
<
<
<Tony. . .
<
<
<"Chad Dinerman" <rogue.wombat@gmail.com> wrote in message
<news:1152287000.003314.69910@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
<> Sorry I was vague before, I wanted to know if the number of NT User
<> Handles per Process is still limited to 10,000.
<>
<> Tony Sperling wrote:
<> > You might be better off directing this question to a
<programmer/developer
<> > NG, and you may want to inform them of what type of handle you are
<> > requesting.
<> >
<> >
<> > Tony. . .
<> >
<> >
<> > "Chad Dinerman" <rogue.wombat@gmail.com> wrote in message
<> > news:1152210340.555169.272550@s53g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
<> > > Does anyone know if the Handle Limit of about 10,000 / app is still
<> > > there in the 64 bit versions?
<> > >
<> > > Thanks
<> > >
<> > > -Chad
<> > >
<>
<
<
<

Chad Dinerman 07-11-2006 12:29 PM

Re: Handle Count Limit

Thanks.

It's pretty disappointing to hear that there is still an arificial
limit imposed by the OS. I understand that most people don't bump
against this but our software has been bumping against this limit for
some time now and it is becoming a big issue for us.

Are you aware of any plan to remove this with Vista?

-Chad

Tony Sperling 07-11-2006 10:00 PM

Re: Handle Count Limit

Of course, this will use some memory - but I agree, if a limit is needed it
might as well be a percentage of the available resources?

news:1152620956.184159.26870@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
> Thanks.
>
> It's pretty disappointing to hear that there is still an arificial
> limit imposed by the OS. I understand that most people don't bump
> against this but our software has been bumping against this limit for
> some time now and it is becoming a big issue for us.
>
> Are you aware of any plan to remove this with Vista?
>
> -Chad
>
> "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
> > Hello Tony and Chad,
> > And your guess would be correct Tony.
> > The same limits for 32 bit would be applicable for 32-bit as for

64-bit.
> > So that hotfix is in the x64 release.
> > Thanks,
> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
> > <From: "Tony Sperling" <tony.sperling@dbREMOVEmail.dk>
> > <Subject: Re: Handle Count Limit
> > <Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:06:54 +0200
> > <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37060