Velocity Reviews

-   -   Trouble Installing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492273-trouble-installing.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FtcnVuMzE4?= 06-21-2006 02:59 PM

Trouble Installing

I'm building a new computer with an ASUS MB and a SATA HD...Every time I try
to setup windows x64, it gets through loading all the files and says it's
starting windows...then all the sudden I get the blue screen of death(says
check harddrives for viruses and so on)...What is the problem? My bios shows
the SATA HD...so I shouldn't have to install any drivers first, right? Is
there anything I could have done wrong? HELP!!

Colin Barnhorst 06-21-2006 03:29 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

Your Asus board should support a SATA drive without needing you to provide a
driver during setup. Make sure the SATA cable is not connected to one of
the raid connectors instead of a solo connector. Run a memory test.

Rick 06-21-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

What Asus MB do you have? If it has a Via SATA
you need SATA drivers.

Colin Barnhorst 06-21-2006 03:47 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

I didn't know that about the V boards (mine is nVidia). Thanks for pointing
that out.

Rick 06-21-2006 04:33 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

Asus has not programmed their BIOS to identify
the VT SATA chip as a SATA-IDE and still
requires the SATA RAID driver even though a RAID
is not required.

MSI's latest BIOS allows you to select SATA-IDE
and both Win XP and x64 will load on these
boards without any F6 intervention.

The latest VIA software has updates for both
configurations and installs the latest drivers
to support the configuration of the chip in the
BIOS.

So, on my MSI K8T800Pro Neo2 it is configured as
a SATA-IDE interface and on my Asus A8V I don't
have any option except SATA-RAID even though I
don't have the 2 SATA drives in a RAID
configuration.

It would be nice if all the Vendors would get on
the same sheet of music and offer the same
options for how you want the SATA channel to be
seen.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 06-21-2006 08:07 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

Colin:
Las letter in mobo's name indicates chipset.
N is for NVidia Nforce
V is for VIA
E.g.: ASUS A8N is NForce chipset based
Carlos

Colin Barnhorst 06-21-2006 08:40 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

Yes I understood that (I have an A8N etc), but I didn't know that the Via
based boards did not have onboard SATA driver support like my nVidia based
board does. Now I know.

Rick 06-21-2006 08:45 PM

Re: Trouble Installing

Vista has the Via RAID drivers in its base, so
you don't need any additional drivers there - at
least in a non-RAID configuration. I don't have
any RAID configured to check about a RAID.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-22-2006 12:31 AM

Re: Trouble Installing

Yeah, I've got an early Via ASUS here, and it requires drivers for the SATA.
Worse is the Promise that's on there, though. You can't get that to work at
all in IDE mode. :(

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64