Velocity Reviews

-   -   KB914784 and image mounting software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492220-kb914784-and-image-mounting-software.html)

Peter Lawton 06-14-2006 08:13 PM

KB914784 and image mounting software

If anyone's using Daemon tools or Alcohol 120% don't install KB914784, it
breaks both of them on x64 systems

Peter Lawton

Rick 06-14-2006 08:56 PM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

Do you have any rationale for your statement? I
have Daemon tools on my system and have not
encountered any problems with the updates.

If you're going to disseminate a statement as
the one below, then please provide some
justification for your statement. As it stands
now, you give no reason to follow you statement.

Peter Lawton 06-14-2006 09:33 PM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

Hi Rick,

You are indeed lucky if you're running x64 Windows XP with KB914784 and are
having no problems with Daemon tools or Alcohol 120%

However I do have a "rationale" along with an amount of supporting evidence.

I am running Daemon tools on one x64 PC and Alcohol 120% on another, both
broke when KB914784 was installed and both started working again when
KB914784 was uninstalled.

The common component between them both is of course is the sptd.sys device
driver, my assumption is that the changes to DEP in the KB are preventing it
from operating, the System log error is:-

Source: sptd
Type: Error
Event ID: 4
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

I also followed up my guess with the guys from Alcohol 120% and they said
that they are aware of the issue, are working to correct it and the only
advice at present is to either uninstall Alcohol 120% or uninstall KB914784

Now your experience may well be different from mine and that of the Alcohol
120% developers, however I believe that I do have enough "rationale" to
"disseminate" a warning to other people so that if they do encounter the
same issue they won't have to spend most of a day fruitlessly un-installing
and re-installing their applications in an attempt to repair them.

Frankly Rick whether you follow my statement or not is of no concern to me
at all, I made it purely to help others who may have the same problem and
wish to follow it, in order to save themselves a lot of time and
frustration.

I didn't go into details in my first post because I was very busy and I
assumed that anyone having the issue could try my advice and of course
anyone not having the issue would simply ignore it (of course as a verteran
of usenet I should have known better ;-)

Peter

Simon Meacham 06-17-2006 06:53 PM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

This is a far reaching change Microsoft have just introduced with this patch
(which I have uninstalled for now).

Here's the official line:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver...tpatching.mspx

And here's the specifics on the patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/914784.mspx

Personally I can see what Microsoft is trying to achieve I just wish they
had not slipped this out as a hotfix/auto-update but rather in a Service
Pack.

It "broke" my machine, along with lots of other x64 users, and led to me
having to lose productivity looking for the reason and uninstalling the
patch.

Simon.
Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.

support@msnmonitor.com 06-18-2006 02:17 AM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

Just use magicdisc instead of daemon-tools. it can run fine on windows
x64 systems.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm

Peter Lawton 06-18-2006 11:27 AM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

Yes, since the original issues with Alcohol and Daemon tools I've now come
across various other odd apps and plugins that have broken too. Even my
Sinclair Spectrum emulator broke! (*cry*)

I agree that there should have been more warning about what this patch was
going to do, like there was with the changes to the way MSIE handled ActiveX
controlls recently, to enable developers to update their code.

For now I've set WSUS to "Detect Only" for this patch until I sort out
exactly which things it breaks and get updates for them.

One interesting thing I noticed from the links you give is
"Patching any part of the kernel (detected only on AMD64-based systems)"

That's the first real difference I've ever seen from the Windows point of
view between Intel and AMD x64 processors, I wonder what AMD can do that
Intel can't (or perhaps it's just a conspiracy *grin*)

Peter Lawton

Peter Lawton 06-18-2006 11:33 AM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

I prefer not to install the patch.

But what's the betting Microsoft force the patch on everyone soon by
incorporating it into a real critical security patch that is necessary,
there's been quite a lot of that happening recently with MS patches.

My feeling is it was totally unnecessary to change the existing behaviour of
x64 systems, but not x32 systems, without any warning. They should have left
such fundamental changes until Vista which is going to necessitate a lot of
application code rewrites anyway.

Peter Lawton

news:1150597038.658417.8530@c74g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com...

jabloomf1230 06-18-2006 05:06 PM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

I uninstalled it also, since my PC was consistently taking a very long
time to boot after all the Windows updates were installed. For some
reason, removing the patch fixed the problem. I use Firefox, but if you
use IE, even with automatic updates turned on, you will eventually get
the Windows update site and you will have a "complaint" that a vital
update has been turned off.

Jane C 06-18-2006 07:40 PM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

Intel EM64T processor here...and it broke my Daemon Tools too :(

--
Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;)

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-18-2006 09:08 PM

Re: KB914784 and image mounting software

Yes, it's the same for both chips - it isn't amd64 only.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64