Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless and XP sp2 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4922-wireless-and-xp-sp2.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?= 11-14-2004 01:35 AM

Wireless and XP sp2

Installed SP2 on laptop with integrated wireless card. Before installing,
wireless ran great, after installation, wireless could connect to router,
ping router, but nothing else. Called Dell and they could not tell me what
to do, except that SP2 was having problems with wireless. Turned off all
firewalls and everything. Had to uninstall sp2 in order to browse 'net.
Question is, is SP2 supporting wireless now? Does it work? I don't feel
like going through the 2 days of trying to figure this out again until it's
fixed. Any help is appreciated...

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZA==?= 11-14-2004 01:41 AM

RE: Wireless and XP sp2

Computer Info:

Linksys Router/Wireless AP
DSL Modem
Intigrated 802.11b wireless
was in motel on a linksys router at time of sp2 installation, have not tried
it at home on my linksys router since uninstalled first time

GF 11-14-2004 03:13 AM

Re: Wireless and XP sp2

My experience :

« Question is, is SP2 supporting wireless now? Does it work?

Yes, it works.

Better as a matter of fact than before (SP1)

news: 82A6F196-33EA-4B8F-9EEB-BB50CCC2BB44@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?c3dlZXRiYWNr?= 11-16-2004 03:49 PM

RE: Wireless and XP sp2

Richard,
I seem to be having the same trouble. Have you found any solutions? I also
have a linksys router and can connect to it, and ping websites... but cannot
get is to work.

Malke 11-16-2004 09:22 PM

RE: Wireless and XP sp2

sweetback wrote:

> Richard,
> I seem to be having the same trouble. Have you found any solutions? I
> also have a linksys router and can connect to it, and ping websites...
> but cannot get is to work.
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
>> Installed SP2 on laptop with integrated wireless card. Before
>> installing, wireless ran great, after installation, wireless could
>> connect to router,
>> ping router, but nothing else. Called Dell and they could not tell
>> me what
>> to do, except that SP2 was having problems with wireless. Turned off
>> all
>> firewalls and everything. Had to uninstall sp2 in order to browse
>> 'net.
>> Question is, is SP2 supporting wireless now? Does it work? I don't
>> feel like going through the 2 days of trying to figure this out again
>> until it's
>> fixed. Any help is appreciated...

I don't think you can say "SP2 has problems with wireless". I think you
can say that some people with SP2 have problems with wireless. For
instance, I have a Linksys wired router and a Linksys Wireless Access
Point and I don't have any trouble with wireless. Things to check:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your wireless card. If it
is one that is built into the laptop, look on the laptop mftr.'s
website for drivers. If it is a separate card, look on the card mftr.'s
website. In either case, don't apply drivers you find on Windows
Update.

2. Even if you already have the most recent drivers, it might work to
uninstall/reinstall the card.

3. If you are using the card mftr.'s or laptop mftr.'s software to
manage the wireless connection, check to see if that software needs to
be updated. For instance, IBM had a warning on their site that their
connection software would stop working with SP2. I don't know if they
updated it, because I don't use it.

4. If you were using the card/laptop mftr.'s connection software, try
just using the Windows connection manager. In the Advanced part of the
wireless networking, check "Allow Windows to manage my wireless...".

5. You may need to update the firmware on your Router/Access Point.

If you can ping the router but cannot see any websites, that indicates a
problem with getting DNS. If you have the machine set to get DNS from
the router, try setting it to get DNS from your ISP instead.

If, after you've run through the above steps, you're still having
problems please do post back and tell us what you've done. There are a
lot of wireless networking experts in this newsgroup (and I don't
consider myself an expert in that area!) who want to help.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers