Velocity Reviews

-   -   dual booting x64 and vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492149-dual-booting-x64-and-vista.html)

warpsix 06-09-2006 01:45 AM

dual booting x64 and vista

I downloaded the vista 32bit and i want to place it on the c drive (ide
,was win xp pro) i have the windows xp x64bit edition on the sata drive,
d (my default booting os)
i would link to know if i wipe my c drive and install vista is it going
to mess up my booting to the x64
and if Charlie Russel is around i am installing vista on the asus a8v
deluxe have you tried it on one of yours? any problems anybody?
i will post the rest of the vista questions to the vista newsgroup if i
find them again :)

Colin Barnhorst 06-09-2006 01:56 AM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

It will not disturb your x64 installation and when Vista is installed you
will get a boot options screen that permits you to choose which OS to boot
into. Vista will be the default until you change it back to x64.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-09-2006 06:18 AM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

Careful - wipe C drive will screw up ntloader.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-09-2006 06:20 AM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

Don't "wipe" C: drive - you'll regret it. But _do_ clean it up, delete all
the windows directories that are on it. That's \windows, \program files and
\documents and settings and their subfolders. If you wipe it (as in format
it), you'll lose your boot files and not be able to get into XP x64 without
some pain.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jane C 06-09-2006 08:19 AM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

I now have that pain to alleviate ;o) Silly me....forgot to back up my
ntloader and boot.ini from my C drive before zapping it and installing Vista
there..........my braincell was definitely on vacation ;)

--
Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;)

=?Utf-8?B?d2FycHNpeA==?= 06-09-2006 04:46 PM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

well i did that before seeing other responces and now i can not boot into
xp64 bit
the only operating system vista see's is vista there is no other operating
system.
i take it that there is not an easy fix for this i have tried the vista cd
recovery(install driver) but it never shows x64 and i have tried the
fixboot/fixmbr on the xp x64 cd please tell me there is a way to get back to
my x64 the wife keeps giving me the "look" looks like the dog house for me
tonight
p.s. vista works fine except internet explorer uses 100% cpu but firefox
works fine

John Barnes 06-09-2006 05:01 PM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

You can make the x64 partition your system drive, (active partition on first
drive in boot order) Then install your ntldr ntdetect.com from the x64 cd
and make a boot.ini from the Recovery console using bootcfg /rebuild -
Should work unless Vista changes the MBR in a new manner. Fixmbr should fix
that 'if' necessary.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-09-2006 05:34 PM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

The required steps to fix this include either doing a repair install of XP
x64, and then repairing the Vista install. Or using bcdedit and restoring
your ntldr files. Both of which are fairly painful.

I don't have time to write this up before next week. I'm sorry, but I'm
buried on a couple of projects and just can't do it right now.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?amFibG9vbWYxMjMw?= 06-10-2006 01:22 AM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

Charlie,

What's the equivalent of the F6 trick to get Vista to install using the
NForce 4 SATA RAID drivers? I have the NForce Vista 64 bit beta drivers from
the NVidia website. If I start the install from the boot DVD, there's no
option to install extra drivers. If I start the DVD from within Win XP x64,
it shows the little disk icon and I can install the SATA RAID drivers from
the floppy. Unfortunately, after the system reboots, the install stops with
an error that says "can't find your hard disks". Then it backs out of the
install.

Jay

Colin Barnhorst 06-10-2006 01:36 AM

Re: dual booting x64 and vista

You should see a "Load Drivers" button on the screen. You do not have to
hit a hotkey and, unlike previous versions, you can take your time looking
for it.