Velocity Reviews

-   -   'bad' 32 bit drivers attempting to load and itunes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492070-bad-32-bit-drivers-attempting-to-load-and-itunes.html)

Simon Meacham 05-27-2006 10:00 PM

'bad' 32 bit drivers attempting to load and itunes

I was trawling through my system event log (I know, I lead an exciting life)
and noticed that the System log reported that several drivers
(GEARApsiWDM.sys and PQNTDrv.sys) kept trying to be loaded but were 'blocked
from loading due to incompatibility with this system'.

In fact there seem to a be a veritable cornucopia of such messages
stretching back in time, with variable intervals.

A quick google informed me that GEARAspiWDM.sys is an itunes CD-ROM burning
drivers which 'corrupts the x64 CD-ROM driver' (any truth to this?) and
PQNTDrv.sys is part of Partition Magic (which 'sort of works' on x64 but not
really).

I only use PM in boot mode now following advice on this forum, so I can
uninstall that, but I wouldn't mind keeping itunes around for the ipod.

Anyone had any experience with GEARAspiWDM.sys and what they did? Does it
really 'corrupt' my x64 CD-ROM driver, or is it OK to just ignore the
annoying log generator?

Cheers
Simon.

Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.

Graham 05-28-2006 05:39 AM

Re: 'bad' 32 bit drivers attempting to load and itunes

Simon Meacham wrote:
> Anyone had any experience with GEARAspiWDM.sys and what they did? Does it
> really 'corrupt' my x64 CD-ROM driver, or is it OK to just ignore the
> annoying log generator?

iTunes installs 32-bit drivers which x64 can't (won't) load. It doesn't
corrupt anything. You can get 64-bit drivers from the Gear website, but
every time you update or re-install iTunes it will toss these and and
put the non-functional 32-bit ones back again instead, so you have to
put the 64-bit ones back again. It is very annoying, but not harmful.

Graham.

Simon Meacham 05-28-2006 12:08 PM

Re: 'bad' 32 bit drivers attempting to load and itunes

Thanks Graham. I downloaded the x64 drivers from the website per your
suggestion and all was well.

For anyone else interested the link is
ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/bet...MD64_EM64T.exe