Velocity Reviews

-   -   is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492029-is-vista64-going-to-support-dos16-programs.html)

Lynn McGuire 05-22-2006 04:25 PM

is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 05-22-2006 05:43 PM

Re: is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

Its safe to say "no". You can use virtual machine environments for legacy
DOS based applications in supported operating systems such as Windows 98.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-22-2006 07:16 PM

Re: is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

No. This will not change - 64bit Windows does not support 16 bit programs.
Will not ever support 16 bit programs.

That being said, see my blog on virtualization - it's the best workaround I
know, and it gives me what I need for 16 bit apps.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-22-2006 07:17 PM

Re: is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

Safe? Oh, yeah. Not now, not ever.

Lynn McGuire 05-25-2006 03:53 PM

Re: is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

> No. This will not change - 64bit Windows does not support 16 bit programs. Will not ever support 16 bit programs.
>
> That being said, see my blog on virtualization - it's the best workaround I know, and it gives me what I need for 16 bit apps.

I read your fine article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...almachine.mspx
and List is precisely what I want to run. I emailed Vern and he replied that
he is not ever planning on building a Win32 console version. I gather that
List is mostly written in assembly and would have to almost totally rewritten.
Bummer.

Thanks,
Lynn

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-26-2006 01:25 AM

Re: is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

Yup, I emailed Vern as well, and got the same answer. So I built a little
Win98 VM and I use it whenever I want use List. (I had forgotten about LIST
over the years, and you're original query a year ago reminded me of how
useful it is.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64