Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t492002-microsoft-remote-ehome-infrared-transceiver.html)

Tige 05-18-2006 01:31 PM

Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

I bought myself a Microsoft Remote for MCE to run of my Windows x64 machine.
I am aware that this remote is for Media Center Edition only, but I bought
it since it works fine on my friend's Windows XP SP2 laptop, so I figured
that it could run on my x64 setup as well.

It doesn't install at all. But what is really frustrating is that I found
the 64-bit drivers in the AMD64 setup folder (irBus.inf, irBus.sys) for
Windows x64 (5.2.3790.1830, as per the file info for driver), but it doesn't
install, says the driver isn't 64-bit compatible!

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is it possible for me to get a 64-bit
driver that works? I really like this remote and want it to function. It is
unfair that Windows XP SP2 can use this thing, but my x64 setup can't.

Thanks in advance.

Rick 05-18-2006 02:10 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

The last I heard MCE wouldn't run in Win x64, so what good is a remote
for something that you can't use?

There's nothing unfair about it, either. It's just a fact of life.

Tige 05-18-2006 02:16 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

> The last I heard MCE wouldn't run in Win x64, so what good is a remote for
> something that you can't use?
>
> There's nothing unfair about it, either. It's just a fact of life.

The remote works fine in Windows XP SP2. You can turn the volume up and down
or put the computer to sleep. No MCE, nothing. You can use it with Girder or
Media Portal without any issues.

So why can't I do the same with x64? Why can't I install the irbus driver
that came with the x64 installation CD?

Therefore, it is unfair.

Rick 05-18-2006 02:19 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

Apparently the irBus files are not 64-bit. Here's the irBus.ini and it
states it is 32-bit "NTx86".

; Installation inf for IRBUS Driver
;

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=USB
ClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Provider=%MSFT%
LayoutFile=layout.inf
DriverVer=10/01/2002,5.2.3790.1830

[Manufacturer]
%Microsoft%=MicrosoftHw,NTx86

[MicrosoftHw.NTx86]
%USB\VID_045E&PID_006D.DeviceDesc%=IrBus, USB\VID_045E&PID_006D

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=USB\VID_045E&PID_006D

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 12

[IrBus.NT]
CopyFiles=IrBus.NT.Copy

[IrBus.NT.Copy]
IrBus.sys

[IrBus.NT.HW]
AddReg=IrBus.NT.AddReg.HW

[IrBus.NT.AddReg.HW]
HKR,,"Security",,"D:P(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GA;;;LS)"

[IrBus.NT.Services]
AddService = IrBus,0x00000002,IrBus.AddService

[IrBus.AddService]
DisplayName = %IrBus.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %12%\IrBus.sys
LoadOrderGroup = PNP Filter

Rick 05-18-2006 02:21 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

Life's a bitch, and then you die!

Tige 05-18-2006 02:40 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

Anyways, why ship a 32-bit driver with a 64-bit operating system? What's the
point of that?

IrBus.sys is made for '5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)' as per the
file info (version tab), which is Windows x64.

Do you know if it is possible to get a driver for the remote for VISTA 64,
and then copy to my Windows x64 box?

Rick 05-18-2006 02:44 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

If you do a search of the Microsoft web site for "eHome Infrared
Transceiver" you'll note that Microsoft only supports this device in Win
MCE. There is at least one update listed that when you read it seems to
contain a driver for the remote. I did see a web site that also said it
had a driver for the Transceiver, but I don't know if it was genuine
Microsoft or not.

The bottom line is you need drivers for the device and there are no
64-bit drivers at this time. When Vista comes out there may 64-bit
Vista drivers that would support the Transceiver.

Aaron Kelley 05-18-2006 03:22 PM

Re: Microsoft Remote (eHome Infrared Transceiver)

Just a note...
All 32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 SP1 have that build tag as well.

- Aaron