Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t491929-win-xp-32-bit-upgradable-to-x64.html)

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\) 05-06-2006 12:15 PM

Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?

Hi,

Is it possible to do an in-place upgrade of the subject mentioned?

(I have tried to find such info, but it seems not mentioned anywhere)

Thanks!

Jon_Hildrum 05-06-2006 12:41 PM

Re: Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?

No

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP

Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2 05-06-2006 12:52 PM

Re: Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?

Egbert:

There is no upgrade path from x86 to x64. A clean install to a
different partition or drive is required.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\) 05-06-2006 01:00 PM

"Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" <dennispack@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Egbert:
>
> There is no upgrade path from x86 to x64. A clean install to a
> different partition or drive is required.

ok thanks, I was afraid for that, already. This must be related (of course)
to the 32-bit driver mess that would occur (32-bit drivers cannot run, I
know).

does the files and settings transfer wizard cure a lot of the 'upgrade'
pain?

Thanks...

Bruce Chambers 05-06-2006 02:10 PM

Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to do an in-place upgrade of the subject mentioned?
>
> (I have tried to find such info, but it seems not mentioned anywhere)
>
> Thanks!

No. There is no way to perform an in-place upgrade to WinXPx64; this
edition of the OS is available only as an OEM product, so it cannot
perform an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] 05-06-2006 06:30 PM

Re: Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?

Hello Egbert,
You probably need the version referenced in this update:
896344 You cannot transfer files and settings from a computer that is
running a 32-bit edition of Windows XP to a computer that is running
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)" <egbert_nierop@nospam.invalid>
<Subject: Re: Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?
<Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 15:00:37 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> different partition or drive is required.
<

Charlie Russel-MVP 05-07-2006 01:22 PM

Re: Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?

As folks have mentioned, there is no direct upgrade path. The Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard works, IF you make sure you download the updated
one for XP 32 bit. And all of these topics are covered on my x64 FAQ and
blog site. There's a good overview there from November that you might find
useful. http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie.