Velocity Reviews

-   -   Two forms in one page? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t491609-two-forms-in-one-page.html)

Tim 03-27-2007 01:21 PM

Two forms in one page?

I'm a real newby. I'm trying to get 2 submission forms onto the same page,
one activated by Return, the other by a Send button. A little while ago I
found that the contents of the buttoned form were sent by both sending
methods. I rearranged the "action" and "div class="commentform" lines, and
now nothing at all gets sent.

Which of my many errors do you think might be responsible for this cockup?

Tim

Brian Cryer 03-27-2007 03:30 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

"Tim" <timwalters@terrano.es> wrote in message
> I'm a real newby. I'm trying to get 2 submission forms onto the same page,
> one activated by Return, the other by a Send button. A little while ago I
> found that the contents of the buttoned form were sent by both sending
> methods. I rearranged the "action" and "div class="commentform" lines, and
> now nothing at all gets sent.
>
> Which of my many errors do you think might be responsible for this cockup?

I suspect you've probably broken the mark-up. Try running your page through
http://validator.w3.org/ and fix any errors that that generates and/or try
posting a url to your page so that we can see what's going on.

There is no fundamental reason why having two (or more) forms on a page
shouldn't work. The only thing to remember is that only one form can post
back.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Jukka K. Korpela 03-27-2007 06:27 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

Scripsit Tim:

> I'm a real newby.

Then stop acting like a _clueless_ newbie. You multiposted. Multiposting is
bad. Don't do multipost. Check my answer in c.i.w.a.h.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Mike Minor 03-27-2007 09:06 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

whatever the heck c.i.w.a.h. is.......

Mike Minor

Phone: 407-656-4990
Fax: 407-656-5785
news:WldOh.25579$MG4.24492@reader1.news.saunalahti .fi...

Tim 03-27-2007 10:55 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

"Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> "Tim" <timwalters@terrano.es> wrote in message
> > I'm a real newby. I'm trying to get 2 submission forms onto the same

page,
> > one activated by Return, the other by a Send button. A little while ago

> > found that the contents of the buttoned form were sent by both sending
> > methods. I rearranged the "action" and "div class="commentform" lines,

and
> > now nothing at all gets sent.
> >
> > Which of my many errors do you think might be responsible for this

cockup?

> I suspect you've probably broken the mark-up. Try running your page

through
> http://validator.w3.org/ and fix any errors that that generates

I did this. It validated the code. But Jukka has pointed out elsewhere that
I had a form relevant line outside the </form> limit.

and/or try
> posting a url to your page so that we can see what's going on.

It's being tested on my computer. It hasn't been posted yet.

> There is no fundamental reason why having two (or more) forms on a page
> shouldn't work. The only thing to remember is that only one form can post
> back.

Sorry. What does this last sentence mean?

Thanks for your interest and help.

Tim

Tim 03-27-2007 10:56 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote in message
news:WldOh.25579$MG4.24492@reader1.news.saunalahti .fi...
> Scripsit Tim:
>
> > I'm a real newby.

> Then stop acting like a _clueless_ newbie. You multiposted. Multiposting

is
> bad.

I hadn't realized. Apologies.

Jonathan N. Little 03-28-2007 12:27 AM

Re: Two forms in one page?

Another NG "comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html"

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Brian Cryer 03-28-2007 08:16 AM

Re: Two forms in one page?

> "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

<snip>
>> There is no fundamental reason why having two (or more) forms on a page
>> shouldn't work. The only thing to remember is that only one form can post
>> back.

> Sorry. What does this last sentence mean?

Simply that you can have more than one form on a page, but only one of them
can be submitted. So if you had say a search box and a shopping-cart both as
forms, either the search-box or the shopping-cart form would fire (in
response to the user), but not both. So the user would end up either
searching or doing some shopping-cart function (but not both). Clear?
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Mike Minor 03-28-2007 04:47 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

Thanks....I hadn't seen that one before....

Thank you,

Mike Minor

Tim 03-28-2007 08:21 PM

Re: Two forms in one page?

> "Tim" <timwalters@terrano.es> wrote in message
> >
> > "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> <snip>
> >> There is no fundamental reason why having two (or more) forms on a page
> >> shouldn't work. The only thing to remember is that only one form can

post
> >> back.

> > Sorry. What does this last sentence mean?

> Simply that you can have more than one form on a page, but only one of

them
> can be submitted. So if you had say a search box and a shopping-cart both

as
> forms, either the search-box or the shopping-cart form would fire (in
> response to the user), but not both. So the user would end up either
> searching or doing some shopping-cart function (but not both). Clear?

I think so. You're saying that each form is entirely independent. The
instruction to send one would leave the other unacted upon. Right?