Velocity Reviews

-   -   Requirement for XP Professional x64 trial software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t491220-requirement-for-xp-professional-x64-trial-software.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FydGVy?= 02-16-2006 10:23 PM

Requirement for XP Professional x64 trial software

An article by Charlie Russel says, "If you're running Windows XP Home Edition
and have x64 hardware, you can move to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
when it's available. But you'll need to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition
to Windows XP Professional Edition first."
I ordered the x64 trial software from MS and the requirements didn't say
anything about XP Professional. I have the hardware, but don't qualify for
the OEM software so the trial software seems to be my only choice until Vista
is released this fall.
Can someone tell me if I will have to upgrade to XP Professional in order to
install the trial software.

Charlie Russel - MVP 02-16-2006 10:29 PM

Re: Requirement for XP Professional x64 trial software

That article was referring only to the TAP free exchange, which expired in
July, 2005. You can buy a copy of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition today
from an OEM / System Builder (including online) and install it. It will not
be an "upgrade", but a fresh install. (All installs of x64 Edition are fresh
installs, not upgrades, unless moving from Trial to full.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?= 02-21-2006 02:07 AM

RE: Requirement for XP Professional x64 trial software

Heard that you can buy an OEM copy with a Hard Drive. Anyone know if this is
true?

John Barnes 02-21-2006 02:20 AM

Re: Requirement for XP Professional x64 trial software

Yes at most of the places Andre recommends. NewEgg for sure (they include a
splitter, though to comply), Directron just requires you either select their
inexpensive ways or buy your own hardware, and a hard drive would be ok