Velocity Reviews

-   -   F6 during install - sata drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t491215-f6-during-install-sata-drive.html)

=?Utf-8?B?bHVrYXN3YXJl?= 02-16-2006 08:42 PM

F6 during install - sata drive

I can install XP Pro easily on my P4D machine's
SATA drive...but cannot install XP Pro X64
because it does not support SATA drives.
But of course, this being a modern computer
it does not have a floppy drive. So do I have
to go buy an (obsolete) floppy drive to
install this modern OS that does not support
SATA? Say it ain't so! I am sympathetic
to those that are frustrated with XP X64.

MS blames much on the hardware mfrs...
OK, but why drop native support that used
to work perfectly? Wouldn't most machines
that are new be with SATA and without
floppy drives?

Is there a way to do this with a CD with
drivers since I do not have a floppy?

=?Utf-8?B?bHVrYXN3YXJl?= 02-16-2006 08:52 PM

RE: F6 during install - sata drive

(I searched for F6 and SATA on this
forum before I posted...and found nothing. )

John Barnes 02-16-2006 09:09 PM

Re: F6 during install - sata drive

Buy a floppy, plug it in when you need it and store it when you don't.

Charlie Russel - MVP 02-16-2006 09:09 PM

Re: F6 during install - sata drive

See my blog for some details about F6 and drivers, but to answer your
complaint about still needing a floppy to load drivers. Yes, it's a PITA.
And it will be gone in Vista. But keep in mind that this all happens at an
extremely early level of the boot process, and it's an area of code that has
worked like this since the first shipment of Windows NT. Changing it risks
breaking other things. Given that x64 Editions shipped as part of a Service
Pack cycle, there were limits to where MS was willing to make changes. A
full new release, such as Vista/Longhorn, is a more appropriate place to
make this kind of change.

The real cause of this is that most motherboard mfgs aren't shipping pure
SATA controllers, but combining them with RAID functionality. That means,
unfortunately, that they're going to need F6 drivers. There are a few
machines out there that don't have RAID tied to the SATA controller, and
those work without drivers. (Dell, for one, on their workstations.)

The going price of a floppy drive is about $15 (USD). Or, buy a USB one, and
you'll have it whenever you need it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64