Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t491057-dual-boot-with-xp-pro-and-xp-pro-x64.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UmVnYWwyNjAw?= 02-08-2006 08:02 AM

Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64?

I am building a new system with an AMD Athlon 64 processor. I have purchased
a copy of XP Pro that I plan to use as my base OS. I have also downloaded
the trial version of XP Pro x64. Can I setup a dual boot configuration so
that I can evaluate the XP Pro x64 separate from running my XP Pro? I
understand that XP Pro x64 will run 32-bit and 64-bit programs just fine. I
have some 16-bit programs (games) that I still want to be able to run under
XP Pro.

Ken Tucker [MVP] 02-08-2006 11:37 AM

Re: Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64?

Hi,

The important thing is that xp and xp x64 can not be on the same
partition. Barb Bowman wrote a nice article on this.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx

Ken
-----------------------

Tony Sperling 02-08-2006 03:46 PM

Re: Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64?

As Ken said, not the same partition. Same Disk is O.K., further you cannot
run any 16bit processes, therefore you cannot install 32bit programs that
uses a 16bit installer. Usually not the biggest problem, but common
non-the-less.

Best work around - keep your oldie a while before shipping it off to a
museum, or dual-boot.

Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP 02-08-2006 07:06 PM

Re: Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64?

Yes, you can.
For more on dual and multiple boot scenarios with x64 Edition (or any
others, actually), you might find the detailed blog I did on this of
interest and use.

http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../21/76180.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?UmVnYWwyNjAw?= 02-09-2006 02:28 AM

Re: Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64?

Thanks Ken, very helpful article! Answered all my questions.

=?Utf-8?B?UmVnYWwyNjAw?= 02-09-2006 02:29 AM

Re: Dual boot with XP Pro and XP Pro x64?

Thank you for your reply Charlie, also very helpful. Great blog and previous
article by you!