Velocity Reviews

-   -   Planning for a new machine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t491053-planning-for-a-new-machine.html)

=?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW4=?= 02-08-2006 01:52 AM

Planning for a new machine

As i mentioned before I'm not a hardware guy, I should have mentioned the
purpose of the work station before, I'm planning for a Work Station on
Windows 64 Bit OS for testing purposes in a lab environment in the fields of
networking, administration and Graphics.

I've contacted several vendors and manufacturers but they were unable to
guide me for the configuration since they most of them do not have the
drivers compatible for 64 bit OS.

Andre Da Costa 02-08-2006 02:00 AM

Re: Planning for a new machine

When you say Administration, what type of Administrative task are you
referring, same question goes for Graphics.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

Tony Sperling 02-08-2006 10:46 AM

Re: Planning for a new machine

"Kiran" <Kiran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As i mentioned before I'm not a hardware guy, I should have mentioned the
> purpose of the work station before, I'm planning for a Work Station on
> Windows 64 Bit OS for testing purposes in a lab environment in the fields
> of
> networking, administration and Graphics.
>
> I've contacted several vendors and manufacturers but they were unable to
> guide me for the configuration since they most of them do not have the
> drivers compatible for 64 bit OS.

Maybe, perhaps you shouldn't burden those vendors with too many questions
about your specific use. The motherboard - any board - would likely work if
the BIOS has a suitable update available, question then is, what specific
add-on hardware do you have in mind, check if those products will support
the OS by way of drivers. It seems there are few categories that are not
supported - specific brands are much more critical, though. Some detective
work will have to be put into this, unless someone can hint you on a
complete and ready-made package that will serve your needs.

Further sources of information might include:

http://www.tomshardware.com/

and stuff like that, they have reports and tests on systems for many
different jobs.

Tony. . .