Velocity Reviews

-   -   64 bit developers newsgroups? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490989-64-bit-developers-newsgroups.html)

Anthony LaMark 02-02-2006 03:57 PM

64 bit developers newsgroups?

Hi All,

I am doing a port of our products from 32-bit to 64-bit. All the code is
C++. I am using Visual Studio 2005 on Windows XP Pro 64-bit. I did a
rebuild of one of my ATL projects and got compile errors in the ATL specific
sections of code. I posted a question out to microsoft.public.vc.atl but no
replies.

My question is: Is there any help available from Microsoft (via newsgroups
or otherwise) for developers porting from 32 bit to 64 bit? I know Intel
and HP have portals with whitepapers and advice but their depth of porting
for Microsoft technologies (ex: ATL, MFC, etc) is very light.

I have the background (well, at least I think I do :-) ) to start plowing
through the code and re-writing parts to make them work but I was hoping
that my existing code base could be preserved (well, as much as possible, I
realize there will be some changes...#ifdefs, etc.) especially when it comes
to my code utilizing the Microsoft class libraries and templates (ex: ATL,
MFC).

Thanks in advance.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 02-02-2006 04:10 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

If its Visual Studio 2005, you should be able to get help associated with
porting applications to 64 bit from the following newsgroups:
microsoft.public.vc.atl
microsoft.public.vc.mfc

Do you know of anyway to get some free books on learning C++ (2005 or 2003)
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Anthony LaMark 02-02-2006 04:55 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

Hi Andre,

Thanks but so far, I have not gotten a response on the
microsoft.public.vc.atl newsgroup :-(. Regarding your question on book for
C++, sorry, I don't know of any free books. If you go to any book store
that has a computer section though, there are usually a ton about learning
the different programming languages (also maybe in the public libraries).
Sorry this may not be the answer you are looking for but again other than
web sites that have introductions to programming languages, I don't know of
any free books.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 02-02-2006 09:00 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

Thanks for the info Anthony, here are some resourceful links I found that
might help:

Here is a link to Tricks for Porting Applications to 64-Bit Windows on AMD64
Architecture
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec.../64bitAMD.mspx

64-Bit Programming C++
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/us...t/default.aspx

64-Bit .NET Framework Development Tools
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...4bit/devtools/

Tony Sperling 02-02-2006 09:44 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

One other:

Tony. . .

Tony Sperling 02-02-2006 09:48 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

Ah, and one guy who writes really well, is Bruce Eckel, he used to have some
of his works available on-line. Some HTML, and some PDF, if I remember.
First class! Can't remember the site right now, but his name is searchable.

Tony. . .

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 02-02-2006 09:57 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

There are a tonne of them for Visuall C++

Ken Tucker [MVP] 02-03-2006 12:18 AM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

Hi,

There is a msdn forum

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=42&SiteID=1

Ken
------------------

Mike Gleason jr Couturier 02-04-2006 06:48 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

I think it is "Thinking In C++"
very good books ! (1 & 2)

Tony Sperling 02-05-2006 07:53 PM

Re: 64 bit developers newsgroups?

Yes, they really are!

I've looked it up, and the site I was thinking about is

mindview.net

and there actually is a

bruceeckel.com

too that I had forgotten. He is one of the very few people on this planet
that CAN bring the technicalities down on a personal level. Just as Petzold
and Prosise do, but his aim is a bit different. Not better, but different.

I also think Bruce may have been the first person writing about 'patterns',
as relating to software development. He probably didn't invent the concept
that has since turned into a 'buzzword', but he has certainly delivered a
heavy blow, for it's recognition.

Tony. . .