Velocity Reviews

-   -   downgrade to windows xp proffesional (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490937-downgrade-to-windows-xp-proffesional.html)

=?Utf-8?B?R2FicmllbGE=?= 01-30-2006 02:21 PM

downgrade to windows xp proffesional

Hi there,
I just purchased a new computer for my son from Tiger Direct. It came with
64bit edition already downloaded. Cannot install new monitor, printer,
webcamera, nothing. I have his old computer for which I purchased and install
windows xp professional edition. Can I use that disc and re-install on the
new one windows xp professional. He hates the new one. We got this computer
mainly for big games.

Thanks

Andre Da Costa 01-30-2006 02:30 PM

Re: downgrade to windows xp proffesional

Sure Gabriela, just boot off your Windows XP Professional x86 (32-bit) disk,
and during the text based portion of setup, choose the partition on which
Windows XP Professional x64 (64-bit) is installed and continue, you will be
prompted with a list of options formatting the partition, select a full
format using NTFS.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

John Barnes 01-30-2006 02:39 PM

Re: downgrade to windows xp proffesional

As long as it is the retail version and you are going to use it ONLY on 1
machine. You may have to call in when activating it. If so, make sure they
understand you are only going to use it on one machine.

Andre Da Costa 01-30-2006 03:11 PM

Re: downgrade to windows xp proffesional

Yeah, thats true, I just assumed its retail copy of XP Pro taking into
consideration, most home computers come preinstalled with Home Edition and
she said she installed XP Pro on that computer, so I assumed she owned a
retail copy, but it makes sense to ensure its not OEM since that would be an
issue activating on a system it was not licensed for.

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-30-2006 07:23 PM

Re: downgrade to windows xp proffesional

Let's be a bit clear here - if you're removing Windows XP from his old
computer, then yes, you can install it on the new one. If you're going to
continue to have and use his old computer, with the existing copy of Windows
XP on it, then you need to buy a new copy of Windows XP.

The installation is straightforward - insert the CD, boot from it and
install. You could leave the existing x64 Edition on it, and dual boot to
Windows XP on a separate partition (drive letter), details are covered on my
blog, or you can format the hard drive and replace the existing x64 Edition.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64