Velocity Reviews

-   -   WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490898-windowsxp64-outlook-express-crashes.html)

Charles Kenyon 01-27-2006 02:32 PM

WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

I am using Outlook Express (6.0, SP1) as my news agent on a machine running
Windows XP 64bit OS (2003 SP1). It regularly crashes during synchronization
with the news.microsoft.com server. Generally when I click on the
synchronize button after first starting OE, it will crash when it gets to
polling for watched messages. I will send an error report and restart the
program, synchronize again, and it will crash, again. I will send an error
message, restart the program, and it will crash or run.

The experience has been that after two or three crashes, it will run.

I don't know if the problem is the OS or something else. When running on
WinXP Pro I didn't have the problem, though, so the OS is my first guess.

Thoughts or suggestions?

TIA

Charles Kenyon

Bruce Hagen 01-27-2006 04:35 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Have a look here:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-27-2006 05:44 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Thanks, Bruce. And welcome to our little part of the world (even if only by
way of the OP dual posting. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Bruce Hagen 01-27-2006 05:52 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

And welcome to mine. Hope the link helped the OP.

Bruce

mac 01-27-2006 05:52 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message
> Thanks, Bruce. And welcome to our little part of the world (even if only
> by way of the OP dual posting. )

Hello to you too Charlie, quiet here atm :-)

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP.OE [DTS]

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-27-2006 06:37 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Well, if you want to hear the screams, come on over to 64bit and explain why
spell checking doesn't work in OE.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Bruce Hagen 01-27-2006 06:41 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Canned reply, Charlie.

OE 6 does not come with its own spell check. You need Word or an MS Office
program. The spell checker in the basic Works 4 through 6 will work with OE.
Older and newer versions do not. If you have Works Suite, that includes MS
Word and a spell checker that does work with OE. If you have such a program,
see:

Spell Checking does not work in OE:
http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/OE...ll%20check.htm

Or:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

And: An error occurred while the spelling was being checked or: Spell Check
was halted:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224176
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-27-2006 06:45 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Yeah, we have one too, but it's different:

Outlook Express is a 64-bit program, and it doesn't have a spell checker of
its own. Instead, it is designed to take advantage of Microsoft Office's
spell checker. Unfortunately, MS Office is a 32-bit program and the spell
checking module is a 32-bit Dynamic Link Library (DLL). A 64-bit program can
not call a 32-bit DLL. (And, of course, a 32-bit program can't call a 64-bit
DLL.) The fix for this will require a 64-bit version of Office, I suspect.

Note: There have been some workarounds proposed to make this work, but
Microsoft has _very_ specifically said that they are a bad idea and that
they risk data corruption.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Bruce Hagen 01-27-2006 06:54 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

Well, that's out of my league. I've always used a free spell check download
myself.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 01-27-2006 07:03 PM

Re: WindowsXP64 - Outlook Express crashes

The best workaround so far is to copy and paste the text into a word
processor installed on your computer and run the grammar check and you are
good to go.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com