Velocity Reviews

-   -   Data Source Drivers in ODBC Administrator (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490706-data-source-drivers-in-odbc-administrator.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXlC?= 01-11-2006 09:26 PM

Data Source Drivers in ODBC Administrator

I've got a new AMD Athlon X2 machine this year and put XP Pro X64 on it. In
setting up my connections to other databases, I notice that the only driver
listed is SQL Server. How can I get the other ODBC drivers listed that
appear in the 32 bit version of XP pro?

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-11-2006 10:12 PM

Re: Data Source Drivers in ODBC Administrator

This may help...
==========
From a post by Pascal Deliot:

It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
on the 64-bit side of the system.

32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
and for 64-bit application you must use:
%WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe

HTH

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa 01-11-2006 10:38 PM

Re: Data Source Drivers in ODBC Administrator

From Pascal with love:
On an Windows 2003 SP1 x64 you can create a odbc connection on 32bit side of
the system or on the 64bit side of the system.

And a 32 bit application will only see 32bit side ODBC connection and a
64bits application only the 64bit side ODBC connection.
Each kind of application has is own registry.

To setup an ODBC link for 32bit application you must use
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and for 64bit application you must use
C:\WINDOWS\System32\odbcad32.exe

I hope this will help you;

Regards,

Pascal Deliot