Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista x64 question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490604-vista-x64-question.html)

Mark Gillespie 01-05-2006 12:54 AM

Vista x64 question

I would ask in the Vista newsgroups, by Microsoft have made the info
impossible to find for MSDN subscribers :-(

Decided I wanted to play with the Decemeber CTP (5270) X64 build. I
previosuly had a tinker with a old longhorn x86 build, and never managed
to get it to boot on my Asus A8V x64 system. I figured such a major
problem would have been sorted by now, but alas, still the same symptom, a
7B STOP after the stage 1 GUI install.

I tried a install from x64 Pro to a new partition, same problem.

I tried to boot from the DVD, and install the Via SATA x64 drivers, using
the "Load Driver" option from the cheesy drive selection page. The driver
loaded, SATA drive appeared, and I could install to the drive, but on
reboot, same old 7B STOP, which I believe means it cannot access the boot
device.

I know some people are running here on A8V, how on earth did you manage
it? Any idea if the VIA x64 SATA driver will be included in the Beta2?
If not sh1t will hit the fans, when it goes to a wider audience...

PS. Where are the official Vista forums for MSDN subscribers???? IS
there any way a sad person like myself, with far too many hours to burn
tinkering with alpha/beta software, can get on the offical Vista beta, for
either x86 or x64?

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-05-2006 01:14 AM

Re: Vista x64 question

Mark --
The 5270 build will not install on VIA SATA drives. :( However, if you
insert a non-SATA drive, and set it as the default boot device in the BIOS,
it will install, and then the SATA driver will load and you'll be able to
see all your drives. Unfortunately, you won't then be able to boot into
them, without tweaking the BIOS again to put the SATA drive first. A bit
awkward, to say the least.

I suspect a solution will have to come from VIA, and I've seen no sign of
one yet.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mark Gillespie 01-05-2006 01:40 AM

Re: Vista x64 question

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:14:10 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
<charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

> Mark --
> The 5270 build will not install on VIA SATA drives. :( However, if
> you
> insert a non-SATA drive, and set it as the default boot device in the
> BIOS,
> it will install, and then the SATA driver will load and you'll be able to
> see all your drives. Unfortunately, you won't then be able to boot into
> them, without tweaking the BIOS again to put the SATA drive first. A bit
> awkward, to say the least.
>
> I suspect a solution will have to come from VIA, and I've seen no sign of
> one yet.

Do you mean install to a IDE disk, then load the SATA driver when booted
to see the other drives? If so, it's not really an option, as I only have
a 300Mb IDE disk kicking around, everything else is SATA... :-(

I though the x64 setup was bad, having to dig out a 1.44Mb floppy, but at
least x64 installs on A8V. Seems progress is moving backwards :-(

The bizzare thing is, is that the driver is here, and working, just that
Microsoft seem not to want to include it, or fix the install, so that any
storage driver specified during stage 1 install, gets included for stage 2
reboot.. I know this is the case, as looking in the drivers directory of
the failed Vista setup, the VIA sata driver has not been copied, yet was
chosen during install...

Andre Da Costa 01-05-2006 02:27 AM

Re: Vista x64 question

Here is the Public newsgroup for Vista users:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...&lang=en&cr=US
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-05-2006 03:28 AM

Re: Vista x64 question

Ah, see I always have a spare 40 or 60 gb drive hanging around.

Keep in mind that this is still a very early beta. It is NOT beta 2, nor
anything like it. We're a long way from a shipping product, and I refuse to
get excited about pre-release problems. That IS, after all, why they have a
beta. ;)

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Andre Da Costa 01-05-2006 04:09 AM

Re: Vista x64 question

Its not even a milestone build like beta 1 or 2 that displays a higher level
of stability, its an interim release, and it proves this through its
instability in 5270, it crashes every time I start using it. So, if you
really want to test Vista not as a beta tester, but a consumer on the
bleeding edge, BETA 2 would be more suitable.

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-05-2006 04:51 AM

Re: Vista x64 question

yes. I never suggest consumers even think of using a beta before beta 2, and
only if they're prepared for things not to work. That's why it's called a
beta.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mark Gillespie 01-05-2006 06:47 PM

Re: Vista x64 question

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:09:32 -0000, Andre Da Costa <andred25@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Its not even a milestone build like beta 1 or 2 that displays a higher
> level
> of stability, its an interim release,

Beta 1 did exactly the same...

Hoping MS get their stuff together on this, for Beta 2, or there will be
alot of miffed people. Quite a few Mobos including the very popular A8V
have the Via SATA chipset (the Promise controller also has the same
problems, worse infact, as the x64 driver fails to load at stage 1).