Velocity Reviews

-   -   x64 printer drivers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490594-x64-printer-drivers.html)

Michael Dennis 01-04-2006 03:13 PM

x64 printer drivers

Hi there

Can anyone tell me how I can update my Windows 2003 Standard Ed. x32 Server
with x64 XP printer drivers. Each time I use the additional drivers button
within the properties of the printer, it asks me for an .inf file for the
printer driver. I'm not sure how to get the .inf file from the x64 XP cd.

Thanks
Mike Dennis

Colin Barnhorst 01-04-2006 03:25 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

Why would you use x64 drivers for x86 Server? Why don't 32-bit drivers work
for you?

Andre Da Costa 01-04-2006 03:33 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

He's expecting more power. ;-)
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

M. Murcek 01-04-2006 03:34 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

I think he means the drivers the server needs to let an x64 client print.
Dennis, search on Charlie Russell's posts below, and you will find an
excellent post on how to do it.

Colin Barnhorst 01-04-2006 04:46 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

Print twice as fast?

Colin Barnhorst 01-04-2006 04:47 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

I see.

Andre Da Costa 01-04-2006 04:59 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

Charlie wrote article about it a few months back:
Adding support for different architectures and OSs to a Printer.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../05/61685.aspx

M. Murcek 01-04-2006 07:17 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

Thanks for the link, Andre. I forgot that he fleshed it out elswhere, I
only remember the thread where it was discussed a while back.

Once again, Andre does it all!

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-04-2006 10:57 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

That's the main reason I keep the blog going. As issues come up, and are
dealt with, I like to flesh out the whole story there when I have the time.
Then, when they come up again (and they always do), the answer is already
written and we only have to post a link to it.

This is especially important because the newsgroups don't stay around
forever. I think the microsoft versions of them are only hosted for 2 months
(though alternatives, like deja news, last a lot longer.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?RmFuZw==?= 01-17-2006 11:16 PM

Re: x64 printer drivers

I looked at your post and it is helpful. However, what about the other
direction? I have a 32-bit server and a 64-bit workstation. I tried the
procedure outlined, specified the directory containing ntprint.inf (\amd64)
and it told me it didn't have an appropriate driver. The printer is an HP
LaserJet 2200 which I know they have a driver for.

Thanks,
Darrin