Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scanner - It's alive! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490589-scanner-its-alive.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 01-04-2006 10:37 AM

Scanner - It's alive!

Considering my old AGFA scanner had (and will have) only x86 drivers, I took
the advice of some of this distinguished x64 forum.
Got hold of VMWare 5.5, installed lightweight Windows 98 onto it and presto!
my scanner was alive again within Windows XP x64.
No need for rebooting anymore.
Got my scanning machine up 'n runnin' again.
Carlos

mikedepetris@gmail.com 01-04-2006 11:18 AM

Re: Scanner - It's alive!

:-)

in fact I thinks it can even be better to keep a suspended virtual
machine with needed drivers and applications instead of filling the
host pc.

This is true for my HP PSC multifunction network printer, HP software
is too invasive, and it is better to have it only when needed for tasks
like printing, scanning, faxing...

=?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?= 01-04-2006 12:10 PM

RE: Scanner - It's alive!

How did you do it? im using the latest VM5.5, i have MUSTEK 1200UB, im
running on VM windows XP (32bit), i installed the scanner's drivers...and,
nada, nothing happens.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 01-04-2006 04:16 PM

RE: Scanner - It's alive!

Hi:
Don't have much to add.
Installed Windows 98SE on VM5.5 because it would eat less resources.
Assigned to it 1GB disk space and 128 megs of ram.
Installed software and drivers for my scanner from within Windows 98.
When I first tried to run the software it complained that screen resolution
was set at less than 65536 colours (on Win98).
Installed then VMware tools, set colour resolution higher and that was all.
I was able to use my scanner.
There may have been one reboot after the software/driver installation.
Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?= 01-05-2006 02:40 AM

RE: Scanner - It's alive!

Ive actually managed to install my Mustek's drivers, and i can see it in
device manager plus in the Control Panel's Scanners and Cameras, but still, i
tried to open Paint, and the "From Scanner or Camera" line is grayed out.

Tony Sperling 01-05-2006 08:46 AM

Re: Scanner - It's alive!

This is probably quite the same as the pre-Beta drivers for my HP PSC,
scanning doesn't work from the printer's panel - only from the Control
Panel's Applet. Need to learn new habits, works perfect though!

Tony. . .

=?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?= 01-05-2006 09:22 AM

Re: Scanner - It's alive!

Not quite, on my other X64 system i have HP Officejet 5510 and my pre-beta
drivers works fine (well, beside the scaning option of course).

We are talking about pure scanners, in which, my Mustek detects itself fine
through VMWARE (XP 32 as a virtual server), but refuses to scan anything.

bob@xp64.bit 01-06-2006 07:53 PM

Re: Scanner - It's alive!

On 4-Jan-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Considering my old AGFA scanner had (and will have) only x86 drivers,
> I took
> the advice of some of this distinguished x64 forum.
> Got hold of VMWare 5.5, installed lightweight Windows 98 onto it and
> presto!
> my scanner was alive again within Windows XP x64.
> No need for rebooting anymore.
> Got my scanning machine up 'n runnin' again.

Same for me, I have a Cannon LIDE 30 and its working under vmware. so
b*gg*r to cannon ("we do not plan to support it") and props to vmware

bob

William 01-29-2006 12:50 PM

Re: Scanner - It's alive!

When you use VM ware how would you get the data into XP64, other than
of course writing it to removable media?

This may be obvious and perhaps I'm missing something (other than a
few brain cells, perhaps)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 02:37:04 -0800, Carlos
<Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Considering my old AGFA scanner had (and will have) only x86 drivers, I took
>the advice of some of this distinguished x64 forum.
>Got hold of VMWare 5.5, installed lightweight Windows 98 onto it and presto!
>my scanner was alive again within Windows XP x64.
>No need for rebooting anymore.
>Got my scanning machine up 'n runnin' again.
>Carlos

Bill

Dominic Payer 01-29-2006 02:05 PM

Re: Scanner - It's alive!

Networking between the virtual machine and the host machine is included in
VMWare setup.

Just set up a shared location on the host so that the scanned file is
written to a directory on the host machine. Or copy and paste after scanning
if you prefer.