Velocity Reviews

-   -   xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490374-xmas-present-dual-core-4200-can-i-turn-my-64-bit-windows-into-a-production-music-making-machine.html)

Arthur Rosene 12-17-2005 07:44 AM

xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

I was thinking. Mac's run better with 32 bit processors and have some of
the best music making software. I'm not a musician but would like to
experiment with some good production quality software that would run very
nicely on x64 64 bit. I have some decent amount of hard drive space to
use. soundcard is audigy 2 value and i am using the green analog speakers.
I was told that my christmas gift of dual core 2.2ghz processors was a
waste having a single core 3500 currently. I really thought it would
enhance the system speed very well overall.

if someone could please point me to the software i want and need (something
very versatile and full range capable) just to see if i can create music
for myself that is unique -- that would run nicely with dual core 4200 with
2 gigs of pc3500 ram and plenty of hd space.

thank you

Arthur

Dennis Gordon 12-17-2005 07:49 AM

Re: xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

Sonar 5 is the 64 bit happening app right now. Haven't tried it myself
yet....

Jud Hendrix 12-17-2005 10:32 AM

Re: xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:44:07 -0800, Arthur Rosene <ossizen@gmail.com>
wrote:

What kind of software do you need?
To edit sounds? Soundforge 8, Steinberg Nuendo or Cubase SX
To compose? Sibelius 4, Finale.

Nuendo won't run on x64, as the dongle-drivers are 32-bit, but they might
be working on an upgrade, you never know. It's a hell of a program, and I
prefer it above ProTools.

There are so many choices to fit your budget. Maybe you can be a bit more
precise.

jud

Arthur Rosene 12-18-2005 03:20 PM

Re: xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

well i remember a Apple CEO launch of an application that seemed to be the
ultimate music making machine. i dont have any external midi interfaces so
the music creation would have to be built inside the program. a friend of
mine has produced a number of albums i believe all using his computer
awhile back. www.skincage.com is the website and Axon is the cd in
question. i thought to myself -- if he did that with that technology then
-- what could i do at home now ?? basically i would like to have a music
program that will allow me to create music on the computer from electronic
to noisish-samplish (during the day) using both samples and program
instrumentation. granted i dont have any background in music production.
its mostly to see what i can do. again i will have dual core 4200's and 2
gigs of ram and plenty of hd space and an audigy 2. support newsgroups
would really come in handy.

thank you

Arthur

Dennis Gordon 12-18-2005 03:55 PM

Re: xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

If you have no experience in music production, something like Acid or
Rebirth might fill the bill, although I have no idea if they are supported
in 64 bit.

Jud Hendrix 12-18-2005 09:15 PM

Re: xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:55:56 -0600, "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>If you have no experience in music production, something like Acid or
>Rebirth might fill the bill, although I have no idea if they are supported
>in 64 bit.

My suggestion too. Acid Pro 5 runs on x64 (I use it on x64). You only have
to install it partially manually, as the installer interrupts fro some
reason. I think you can download a try-out version ate the Sony website.
I use it to compose short background tunes for video's I edit.

I don't know if Rebirth runs under x64. I don't use it.

jud