Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Windows 64bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f46-windows-64bit.html)
-   -   Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, which ha (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490240-windows-xp-64-installation-problem-with-sata-hard-drives-which-ha.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?= 12-07-2005 04:10 AM

Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, which ha
 
I building a new system with MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and four
Seagate SATA Drive ST3160812AS, which have NCQ, complete list of system
components are listed below. However, I have not been able to get Win XP 64
to complete installation. Win XP 64 install on a single drive, however will
not complete install when the four Seagate drives are configured as a RAID
array, any type of RAID Array. Note: I have tried replacing the four
Seagate drive with Western Digital drive with only difference in
specifications being the WD drive do not have NCQ.

The system locks up at the start of the second restart displaying the normal
Windows Startup Graphics Logo Screen with horizontal activity bar running and
system will not responding to any keyboard inputs, will stay in that
condition for hours if you let it. If you press the system hardware Reset
switch, after reboot Windows startup flashes the Windows Logo screen and then
display the diagnostic screen at that time if you try starting Windows in
Safe Mode, system displays list of drivers and services being loaded, then
locks up before clearing screen to display Safe Mode Desk Top.

From everything, I have learned working with Windows is these indications
are an indication of bad or damaged driver for the hard drive controller 8-9
times out of 10.

What I would like to know is, am I right, about it being the HD RAID
Controller Driver being the problem?

Please point me in the right direction, if you think I am off track?

Case: Antec Performance I, P180, Silver Steel, ATX mid Tower
Motherboard: K8N Neo4 Platinum Edition
BIOS: Version 1.A
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with Thermaltake Silent Tower Heat Sink
OS: Windows XP 64 Pro Edition
Memory: 4MB, two ea. Corsair TWINC2048-3200C2PRO
Graphics Card: Power Color-ATi X850LT, PSI Express 16x
Hard Drive: Four ea. Seagate SATA, ST3160812AS configured as RAID 0+1 on
nForce4 controller
# Hard Drive: Two ea. Seagate SATA, ST3800013AS configured as RAID 0 on
Silicon Image controller
# DVD/CD: Sony DRU800A
DVD/CD: Plextor PX-716-SA
Floppy: Sony MPF920
Power Supply: Thermaltake, Model Number: W0057, 500W +3.3V@30A, +5V@30A,
+12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, 12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2A
# Components added to help isolate the problem.



e r m 12-07-2005 07:33 AM

Re: Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, which ha
 
I experienced similar problems with my MSI K8N Master2 FAR board. The
pc dual boots to xp and xp64, and both OS had the same problems. The
problem turned out to be the nVidia IDE drivers. After I rolled back
the IDE drivers, the pc booted up normally on both OS's.

On my board, I need the nVidia drivers to use RAID. I suspect that
your board does as well. For now, RAID is out for me.


=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?= 12-07-2005 03:56 PM

Re: Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, whic
 
Thanks For the reply, trying to get some ammunition to fire at MSI to fix the
problem. Every person that has the problem helps, I have do it be for with
them and if they think your representing a group the more problem up on their
list of things to do.

"e r m" wrote:

> I experienced similar problems with my MSI K8N Master2 FAR board. The
> pc dual boots to xp and xp64, and both OS had the same problems. The
> problem turned out to be the nVidia IDE drivers. After I rolled back
> the IDE drivers, the pc booted up normally on both OS's.
>
> On my board, I need the nVidia drivers to use RAID. I suspect that
> your board does as well. For now, RAID is out for me.
>
>


=?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4gQ3Jvdw==?= 12-13-2005 05:21 AM

RE: Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, which ha
 
Hello, Roger.

I'm sorry you're having this problem, but at least it's similar to mine. I
haven't been able to install XP 64 on a RAID array either. My RAID 0 array
pairs two Fujitsu SCSI drives using a 64-bit Adaptec 2230 SLP RAID-on-chip
dual-channel Ultra 320 SCSI controller. The array is my boot drive, and the
32-bit version of Windows XP Pro runs fine on it.

When I tried to install the 64-bit version, though, setup immediately said
it needed aac.sys. I already had a version of that file on the setup floppy I
used to install the 32-bit version. I downloaded a folder from Adaptec
containing a different version—along with six other files. Adaptec
recommended leaving all seven files inside a registry called amd64 and
putting it on the floppy along with the 32-bit files.

This measure did allow me to get past the advisory about the need for
aac.sys. It got me to the screen that gives you the chance to press Enter to
proceed, and then on to the second chance to press Enter. And from there, the
setup proceeded normally—until it started trying to run Windows. At that
point, the following text appeared in the bar along the bottom of the screen:

"Examining 69,398 MB Disc on bus 4 on aac… "

Then everything stopped. After 10 or 15 minutes, I manually rebooted, only
to go through the same process and stall again at the same point. I
double-checked, and I'm confident I downloaded the correct files from
Adaptec. The aac.sys file is newer than the 32-bit version. The 32-bit
version is named aac.sysB7348, and the 64-bit version is named aac.sysB7372.
The second time around, I deleted the 32-bit files and broke the 64-bit files
out of their folder, which I discarded. That made no difference. I still got
to first base, but I still can't get to second.

This is a workstation, not a server. I put it together expressly for Dragon
NaturallySpeaking. The motherboard, an ABIT SV-1A, is the only Socket 939
board with 64-bit PCI-X slots. I needed one for the Adaptec card. Its 4 GB of
RAM (prioritized by SuperCache) along with the SCSI RAID 0 array have greatly
relieved the I/O bottleneck.

That, along with an FX 55 processor, makes DNS recognition display virtually
instantaneous. It also triples the speed of corrections, but there's still
some latency while you're making them.

I have two strong incentives to install XP 64. First, other Dragon
NaturallySpeaking users say it's snappier with XP 64. Second, I'm not getting
the full use of SuperCache, because I'm not getting the full use of the 4 GB
of RAM—since the 32-bit version of XP Professional can only use 3 GB of it.

I need help. If anyone knows how to install Windows XP 64 on a RAID array,
please let RogerP and me know!

Bryan

"RogerP" wrote:

> I building a new system with MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and four
> Seagate SATA Drive ST3160812AS, which have NCQ, complete list of system
> components are listed below. However, I have not been able to get Win XP 64
> to complete installation. Win XP 64 install on a single drive, however will
> not complete install when the four Seagate drives are configured as a RAID
> array, any type of RAID Array. Note: I have tried replacing the four
> Seagate drive with Western Digital drive with only difference in
> specifications being the WD drive do not have NCQ.
>
> The system locks up at the start of the second restart displaying the normal
> Windows Startup Graphics Logo Screen with horizontal activity bar running and
> system will not responding to any keyboard inputs, will stay in that
> condition for hours if you let it. If you press the system hardware Reset
> switch, after reboot Windows startup flashes the Windows Logo screen and then
> display the diagnostic screen at that time if you try starting Windows in
> Safe Mode, system displays list of drivers and services being loaded, then
> locks up before clearing screen to display Safe Mode Desk Top.
>
> From everything, I have learned working with Windows is these indications
> are an indication of bad or damaged driver for the hard drive controller 8-9
> times out of 10.
>
> What I would like to know is, am I right, about it being the HD RAID
> Controller Driver being the problem?
>
> Please point me in the right direction, if you think I am off track?
>
> Case: Antec Performance I, P180, Silver Steel, ATX mid Tower
> Motherboard: K8N Neo4 Platinum Edition
> BIOS: Version 1.A
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with Thermaltake Silent Tower Heat Sink
> OS: Windows XP 64 Pro Edition
> Memory: 4MB, two ea. Corsair TWINC2048-3200C2PRO
> Graphics Card: Power Color-ATi X850LT, PSI Express 16x
> Hard Drive: Four ea. Seagate SATA, ST3160812AS configured as RAID 0+1 on
> nForce4 controller
> # Hard Drive: Two ea. Seagate SATA, ST3800013AS configured as RAID 0 on
> Silicon Image controller
> # DVD/CD: Sony DRU800A
> DVD/CD: Plextor PX-716-SA
> Floppy: Sony MPF920
> Power Supply: Thermaltake, Model Number: W0057, 500W +3.3V@30A, +5V@30A,
> +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, 12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2A
> # Components added to help isolate the problem.
>
>


=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?= 12-13-2005 06:43 PM

RE: Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, which ha
 
Hear is and update on what I have been able to fine out about this problem.
nVidia nForce4 Chipsets were like every thing else in this industry, before
the hardware and protocol specifications were completed. When first versions
of hardware, firmware and drives completed, there were few SATA II drives
available test the appropriate testing, not hat the manufactures would have
taken the time, because they would not have been able to be first to market.
Therefore, the inevitable happen, the true SATA II drives with all the new
functions of which most increase the data transfer speed of the drives. The
Chipset RAID Controllers could hand it when few problems. However, the
Chipsets DMA Controller could not handle the data being thrown at it and the
results were data over runs and therefore data corruption. If you run four
of the new SATA II with 3Gb/s transfer speed, the chipsets were not crashing,
but when you add NCQ, you have DMA Controller failure. This throws data at
the DMA Controller are around 250 MB/s and that when they crash.
Manufactures and programmer in different Tech Support groups gave some of
this information to me. The rest I have figured out running test on my
computers for MSI Support on pre-beta BIOS and RAID Drivers. However, this
is my best guess at what is going on behind the scenes.
The latest word is I have tested a pre-Beta Drive for 32-bit Windows and it
works and MSI states they are working with nVidia on the 64-bit RAID Driver.
Keep watching the post and I will try to keep you updated. If you do not
hear any for a week, insert a reply, because I am current putting together
three new high-end systems all are 64-bit rundown windows XP 64 and you do
not just put them together and turn them on.

Roger


"RogerP" wrote:

> I building a new system with MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and four
> Seagate SATA Drive ST3160812AS, which have NCQ, complete list of system
> components are listed below. However, I have not been able to get Win XP 64
> to complete installation. Win XP 64 install on a single drive, however will
> not complete install when the four Seagate drives are configured as a RAID
> array, any type of RAID Array. Note: I have tried replacing the four
> Seagate drive with Western Digital drive with only difference in
> specifications being the WD drive do not have NCQ.
>
> The system locks up at the start of the second restart displaying the normal
> Windows Startup Graphics Logo Screen with horizontal activity bar running and
> system will not responding to any keyboard inputs, will stay in that
> condition for hours if you let it. If you press the system hardware Reset
> switch, after reboot Windows startup flashes the Windows Logo screen and then
> display the diagnostic screen at that time if you try starting Windows in
> Safe Mode, system displays list of drivers and services being loaded, then
> locks up before clearing screen to display Safe Mode Desk Top.
>
> From everything, I have learned working with Windows is these indications
> are an indication of bad or damaged driver for the hard drive controller 8-9
> times out of 10.
>
> What I would like to know is, am I right, about it being the HD RAID
> Controller Driver being the problem?
>
> Please point me in the right direction, if you think I am off track?
>
> Case: Antec Performance I, P180, Silver Steel, ATX mid Tower
> Motherboard: K8N Neo4 Platinum Edition
> BIOS: Version 1.A
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with Thermaltake Silent Tower Heat Sink
> OS: Windows XP 64 Pro Edition
> Memory: 4MB, two ea. Corsair TWINC2048-3200C2PRO
> Graphics Card: Power Color-ATi X850LT, PSI Express 16x
> Hard Drive: Four ea. Seagate SATA, ST3160812AS configured as RAID 0+1 on
> nForce4 controller
> # Hard Drive: Two ea. Seagate SATA, ST3800013AS configured as RAID 0 on
> Silicon Image controller
> # DVD/CD: Sony DRU800A
> DVD/CD: Plextor PX-716-SA
> Floppy: Sony MPF920
> Power Supply: Thermaltake, Model Number: W0057, 500W +3.3V@30A, +5V@30A,
> +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, 12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2A
> # Components added to help isolate the problem.
>
>


John Barnes 12-13-2005 07:09 PM

Re: Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, which ha
 
I have one of the first nForce4 (Dec 2004) and same with the SATAII drives
(from Hitachi) It would be nice if ASUS would do anything about the
problems. They just blow you off telling you to keep checking their website
for new BIOS revisions. On BIOS 16 so far plus dozens of betas and the
problems continue to fluctuate but never fix. Probably never will. Will
seriously consider an MSI mobo the next time. Currently have an MSI video
card.


"RogerP" <RogerP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BBEFB207-1CD7-4797-BBDE-CD78928C4ECB@microsoft.com...
> Hear is and update on what I have been able to fine out about this
> problem.
> nVidia nForce4 Chipsets were like every thing else in this industry,
> before
> the hardware and protocol specifications were completed. When first
> versions
> of hardware, firmware and drives completed, there were few SATA II drives
> available test the appropriate testing, not hat the manufactures would
> have
> taken the time, because they would not have been able to be first to
> market.
> Therefore, the inevitable happen, the true SATA II drives with all the new
> functions of which most increase the data transfer speed of the drives.
> The
> Chipset RAID Controllers could hand it when few problems. However, the
> Chipsets DMA Controller could not handle the data being thrown at it and
> the
> results were data over runs and therefore data corruption. If you run
> four
> of the new SATA II with 3Gb/s transfer speed, the chipsets were not
> crashing,
> but when you add NCQ, you have DMA Controller failure. This throws data
> at
> the DMA Controller are around 250 MB/s and that when they crash.
> Manufactures and programmer in different Tech Support groups gave some of
> this information to me. The rest I have figured out running test on my
> computers for MSI Support on pre-beta BIOS and RAID Drivers. However,
> this
> is my best guess at what is going on behind the scenes.
> The latest word is I have tested a pre-Beta Drive for 32-bit Windows and
> it
> works and MSI states they are working with nVidia on the 64-bit RAID
> Driver.
> Keep watching the post and I will try to keep you updated. If you do not
> hear any for a week, insert a reply, because I am current putting together
> three new high-end systems all are 64-bit rundown windows XP 64 and you do
> not just put them together and turn them on.
>
> Roger
>
>
> "RogerP" wrote:
>
>> I building a new system with MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and four
>> Seagate SATA Drive ST3160812AS, which have NCQ, complete list of system
>> components are listed below. However, I have not been able to get Win XP
>> 64
>> to complete installation. Win XP 64 install on a single drive, however
>> will
>> not complete install when the four Seagate drives are configured as a
>> RAID
>> array, any type of RAID Array. Note: I have tried replacing the four
>> Seagate drive with Western Digital drive with only difference in
>> specifications being the WD drive do not have NCQ.
>>
>> The system locks up at the start of the second restart displaying the
>> normal
>> Windows Startup Graphics Logo Screen with horizontal activity bar running
>> and
>> system will not responding to any keyboard inputs, will stay in that
>> condition for hours if you let it. If you press the system hardware
>> Reset
>> switch, after reboot Windows startup flashes the Windows Logo screen and
>> then
>> display the diagnostic screen at that time if you try starting Windows in
>> Safe Mode, system displays list of drivers and services being loaded,
>> then
>> locks up before clearing screen to display Safe Mode Desk Top.
>>
>> From everything, I have learned working with Windows is these indications
>> are an indication of bad or damaged driver for the hard drive controller
>> 8-9
>> times out of 10.
>>
>> What I would like to know is, am I right, about it being the HD RAID
>> Controller Driver being the problem?
>>
>> Please point me in the right direction, if you think I am off track?
>>
>> Case: Antec Performance I, P180, Silver Steel, ATX mid Tower
>> Motherboard: K8N Neo4 Platinum Edition
>> BIOS: Version 1.A
>> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with Thermaltake Silent Tower Heat Sink
>> OS: Windows XP 64 Pro Edition
>> Memory: 4MB, two ea. Corsair TWINC2048-3200C2PRO
>> Graphics Card: Power Color-ATi X850LT, PSI Express 16x
>> Hard Drive: Four ea. Seagate SATA, ST3160812AS configured as RAID 0+1 on
>> nForce4 controller
>> # Hard Drive: Two ea. Seagate SATA, ST3800013AS configured as RAID 0 on
>> Silicon Image controller
>> # DVD/CD: Sony DRU800A
>> DVD/CD: Plextor PX-716-SA
>> Floppy: Sony MPF920
>> Power Supply: Thermaltake, Model Number: W0057, 500W +3.3V@30A, +5V@30A,
>> +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, 12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2A
>> # Components added to help isolate the problem.
>>
>>




=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?= 12-13-2005 07:57 PM

Re: Windows XP 64 installation problem with SATA hard drives, whic
 
John,
I to have been a long to user with ASUS Motherboard being my MB of choose,
but this time I went with MSI because their K8N Neo4 was the one with
features.
Cannot say I have not had problems with MSI Tech Support, but the problems
were all the same. If they do not have anything to say you do not hear from
them, but when they have something you hear right away. I have gotten
replies from them before I could get up from my complete and refill my coffee
cup. Also, have had days where we exchanged messages four or five time a
day. I had a problem with by first K8N Neo4 MB, would not detect dual-core
processors. I had pre-beta BIOS that fixed the problem the next day. MSI
high tech boards have the problems, but I have the felling they are work on
the problem and not leaving you out of the loop.

Roger


"RogerP" wrote:

> Thanks For the reply, trying to get some ammunition to fire at MSI to fix the
> problem. Every person that has the problem helps, I have do it be for with
> them and if they think your representing a group the more problem up on their
> list of things to do.
>
> "e r m" wrote:
>
> > I experienced similar problems with my MSI K8N Master2 FAR board. The
> > pc dual boots to xp and xp64, and both OS had the same problems. The
> > problem turned out to be the nVidia IDE drivers. After I rolled back
> > the IDE drivers, the pc booted up normally on both OS's.
> >
> > On my board, I need the nVidia drivers to use RAID. I suspect that
> > your board does as well. For now, RAID is out for me.
> >
> >



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.