Velocity Reviews

-   -   New to 64bit windows and confuesed. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490212-new-to-64bit-windows-and-confuesed.html)

=?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?= 12-04-2005 06:13 PM

New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

Im about to buy a new computer and im upgrading the processor to an AMD x64.
I was wondering if using Windows 64bit will make a noticable diffrence to the
performance. or if i stay with standart windows will i only b using 1/2 the
processor?
Im not sure how the technology works so if someone can explain then I'd be
greatful.
Aesc-leah

Colin Barnhorst 12-04-2005 06:37 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

You did not say what kind of computer you are buying nor did you indicate
what kind of programs you plan to run or what peripherals you plan to use
with the new computer. All of this makes big differences in whether or not
to use XP x64 or stick with 32-bit Windows. Please take a look at the
webcast Charlie Russel did just a few weeks ago:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

Do not confuse the 64-bit processor with the 64-bit operating system. You
should buy a 64-bit processor since for all practical purposes the end of
the 32-bit era for processors is here and everything going forward will be
64-bit.

32-bit XP runs slightly more efficiently on 64-bit computers than it does on
32-bit systems and there is no incompatibility when you run 32-bit Windows
on the newer systems.

It is not necessary to run the 64-bit edition of XP and unless you expect
specific advantages, perhaps you should stick with one of the 32-bit
editions.

=?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?= 12-04-2005 06:56 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

i didnt mention it becuase its not a specific make, im building it from
parts, if you want the full spec then its
AMD x64 3400+
Asus A8N SLI-deluxe
Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX
3Gb RAM

Ill be using it mainly for gaming and ocasionaly programming etc.
as for peripherals a printer, scanner etc.
Ok, so with a 64bit os it can process 64bits in one go, so surely on a 32bit
OS it can only use 1/2 the processor... am i jst being slightly thick and
missing something.
thanks

Andre Da Costa 12-04-2005 07:18 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

To be honest, you can have 64 bit processor and a 64 bit operating system,
but it won't make much of a significant difference without the 64 bit
applications. I agree with Colin B. though, invest in the processor since
32-bit processors will be kicking the bucket soon, so that when the time
comes to invest in both the native 64 bit applications, peripherals you will
be sure that you are ready.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

=?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?= 12-04-2005 07:40 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

now im even more confuesed. i thought it was to do with the drivers that
interfaced with windows...
and im aware that 32bits are as good as dead...but thats not the topic of
the question. I asked if there will be a significant increas in performace.
Or id if i stay wit XP 32bit how does it process? two things at once? or is
it only using 32bits out of the 64.
Im not a complete technophobe jst a little bit out of touch with technology
in its cureent state

Colin Barnhorst 12-04-2005 07:45 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

You keep asking if you are being slightly thick here. Ask often enough and
somebody may answer that. :)

It sounds like you are confusing the processor with the memory manager. No,
using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor is not like using half the
processor.

Why are you planning on buying 3GB of ram? Buy 4GB. Or leave it at 2GB to
save money. Also, since you are planning to do gaming, I suggest you look
at an AMD64FX, or go dual core with an AMD64 Athlon x2 4400+ or 4800+.

Since you are building the system, set it up with three drives. One for XP
Pro SP2, one for XP Pro x64 in case you decide to dual boot later, and one
for data.

Whatever, make sure you put in a 500+ Watt PS and that it is SLI ready.

=?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?= 12-04-2005 08:02 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

i was planning on going for the FX's later on (money is in short supply)
i may leave the RAM at 2gb for the time being.
and thanks ive been tryin to find that out for ages :D no one wud give me a
straight answer
">No,
> using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor is not like using half the
> processor."

guess i need to do a bit more research. (still doing A-levels at college)
thanks for being patient :)

Charlie Russel - MVP 12-04-2005 08:08 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

Take a look at the Overview blog I did last week. Mostly it's links to other
information I've created, but they really will help you get oriented on what
the tradeoffs are, who's a good fit for x64 Windows (and who isn't), which
processors are 64bit, etc., etc.

http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../29/77166.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst 12-04-2005 08:31 PM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

A 32-bit OS just doesn't use all of the instruction set available on a
64-bit processor. However, all of the expected 32-bit instructions are
available as before.

Rob Wilkens 12-05-2005 12:08 AM

Re: New to 64bit windows and confuesed.

I tried but I get:

We're sorry. We are unable to render the requested presentation.

-Rob