Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS downloads fail - again (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490132-ms-downloads-fail-again.html)

ChrisC 11-28-2005 08:36 PM

MS downloads fail - again

Hi, I've had to re-install X64 because a offline defrag corrupted my
installation. Now, once again, I can't download any files from Microsoft.
Nothing works, not validation, not MSN Messenger, none. I can go to any
other website and I have no problems, ATI, CT, Adobe etc. etc. etc. If you
can recall I have this problem before with X64 and it just seemed to clear
up. It's not my ADSL router, because both my wireless laptop and my other,
wired, desktop has no such problems.
Its rather weird...
ChrisC

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 11-28-2005 08:44 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Could you give us some info on your computer specs? Is it using a nVidia
chip set? If so, its possibly the nVidia Firewall? Uninstall that if you are
using the nVidia Chip by installing the firewall then uninstall it.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

ChrisC 11-28-2005 09:04 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Hi Andre, wow that was quick ty.
I guess you don't remember my previous post in regard to this issue, however
I have a Via based motherboard. I've tried turning off the windows firewall,
the only one I've got, and I've run the validation troubleshooter which
askes me to change some the .net activex settings. This makes no difference,
besides that wouldn't affect file downloads.
ChrisC

ChrisC 11-28-2005 09:17 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Hi again, I should say that windows update works fine and even if I had a NV
firewall would that only block d/loads from MS?
ChrisC

Andre Da Costa 11-28-2005 09:59 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Only advice then is to hear what others have to say or get a Priest and
exorcise that machine.

ChrisC 11-29-2005 07:57 AM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Hehe, happens every install of X64 I've done, seems to be related to
whatever causes the file download should that should pop down below the
links bar. Tell you what I'll do, I'll once again rebuild this PC, but this
time I'll not install any patches or .net and see what happens. Ok, though,
but then the 32 bit version never had this issue....
Go figure :-)
ChrisC

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 11-29-2005 02:17 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

I hope the 64 bit Vista Team is paying attention to these issues. <sigh>

ChrisC 11-29-2005 08:12 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Hi, well I hate being proved right but a clean install didn't change things.
Still can't download anything from MS despite only installing the OS with
the drivers X64 gave me, didn't install any patches, applications or other
drivers, didn't even create an account. Perhaps I can make some cash out of
this by exhibiting my PC as a curiosity, :-)
ChrisC

ChrisC 11-30-2005 04:40 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with the
64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I have to
re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work. Still at
least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
ChrisC

Charlie Russel - MVP 11-30-2005 07:09 PM

Re: MS downloads fail - again

If the 64-bit version works, and the 32-bit version of IE doesn't, along
with other 32-bit network apps, then the following probably applies:
Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64