Velocity Reviews

-   -   posible: dual core + single core (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t490055-posible-dual-core-single-core.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?= 11-22-2005 10:35 AM

posible: dual core + single core

I wounder if any of you have tryed this.
I have a dual MB witch is installed with a dual core 3.2 Mhz/2x2MB Xeon
does anyone know how it will behaive if I put a second CPU (single core
3.2/2MB xeon)
Im asking since I can buy a cheap xeon 3.2 (100$), and would like to know if
I can add this to my existing system

Both CPU have same FSB and same cache size.

In my terms it should act as if 3 CPU was installed.
will this work ? either with windows XP 64 or 32

Dominic Payer 11-22-2005 10:40 AM

Re: posible: dual core + single core

No, Windows only supports symmetric processors - all processors must be the
same model.
This makes processor scheduling easy - the OS doesn't have to work out which
processor is better for any particular task

=?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?= 11-22-2005 11:23 AM

Re: posible: dual core + single core

Thanks you for your quick reply, I have also seen that windows only support
symmetric processors.
I have previous tryed both Pentium Pro and Celoron in dual configs - and in
practice it turn out they wasen't as critical as said about "to be from same
batch".

Are you shure it REQUIRES "symmetric processors" and not just "symmetric
core"
In my "posible futra" set-up all cores would be the same, and therefore the
OS shoulden't mind witch to use.

I belive they would work fysically, but wounder how windows would see them.
I still might be wrong, any other comments ?

Dominic Payer 11-22-2005 01:10 PM

Re: posible: dual core + single core

Symmetric processors is the requirement for Windows, not "symmetric core".

Your system may work with asymmetric processors, but no hardware or software
manufacturer would assist if you had problems with a system configuration
that Microsoft does not support.

It is unlikely that anyone in the newsgroups would have experience of
asymmetric processors with Windows, so you should expect no help if you had
problems.

Rob Stow 11-22-2005 02:34 PM

Dominic Payer wrote:
> Symmetric processors is the requirement for Windows, not "symmetric core".
>
> Your system may work with asymmetric processors, but no hardware or software
> manufacturer would assist if you had problems with a system configuration
> that Microsoft does not support.
>
> It is unlikely that anyone in the newsgroups would have experience of
> asymmetric processors with Windows, so you should expect no help if you had
> problems.

I did an experiment on exactly this with the very first Opty 270
I got my hands on.

On a Tyan S2895 motherboard with an Opteron 246 in Socket 0 and
an Opteron 270 in the other socket, the systems POSTed and W2K
and Solaris 10 would boot up and run just fine, but not XP-32 or
XP-64. However, even with W2K and Solaris only one core on the
Opty 270 was used.

With the chips switched so that the Opty 270 was in Socket 0 the
system would not even POST.

Charlie Russel - MVP 11-22-2005 04:51 PM

Re: posible: dual core + single core

Even if it did work (which I doubt), it would be a bad idea. Windows really
doesn't know how to handle and balance load across asymmetrical processors,
plus I'd serious doubt the overall system stability.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst 11-22-2005 05:47 PM

Re: posible: dual core + single core

It sounds like you are determined to try it no matter our responses, so go
for it.

=?Utf-8?B?TmllbHMgQ2hyLg==?= 11-22-2005 06:11 PM

RE: posible: dual core + single core

Thanks for all your replys - I was asking since someone (Rob Stow) might
already have tryed this.
In the old days it was "imposible" to run dual celeron - even though someone
did tryed it and got it working, including me.
Then I also did learn that asymmetric processors would not run - mainly if
they had different requirements for FSB or muliplyer -
since the 2 CPU's I have mentioned have same HW specifications, and same
size on-die cache (per core) I see no reasoon why it shoulden't work.

Anyway I am greatful for your time and answers, and I will likely not try it
- instead I will settle with the single dual core CPU.
I was hoping for a "positive #1. hand experince answer", witch doesen't seam
to be pressent at now :D

best