Velocity Reviews

-   -   I will be the first XP-64bit Intel Pentium based Notebook (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489982-i-will-be-the-first-xp-64bit-intel-pentium-based-notebook.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= 11-17-2005 02:42 AM

I will be the first XP-64bit Intel Pentium based Notebook

I am going 64 bit with a
Alienware MJ-12 m7700i
The most powerful intel-based notebook by alienware.
with a Intel® Pentium® 4 670 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.8GHz (EM64T)
and a Intel® 915P PCI-Express Chipset
and 256MB NVidia® Quadro™ FX Go 1400 with 64-bit drivers
Got Raid-1 ON A NOTEBOOK!!

Any Sugguestions I should know about 64-bit, before hitting the on button?

Tim.

Colin Barnhorst 11-17-2005 03:16 AM

Re: I will be the first XP-64bit Intel Pentium based Notebook

Does the vendor supply x64 preinstalled? If not, ask why not. Some of
their drivers may not be 64-bit and that would be a problem.

NoNoBadDog! 11-17-2005 05:03 AM

Re: I will be the first XP-64bit Intel Pentium based Notebook

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am going 64 bit with a
> Alienware MJ-12 m7700i
> The most powerful intel-based notebook by alienware.
> with a Intel Pentium 4 670 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.8GHz
> (EM64T)
> and a Intel 915P PCI-Express Chipset
> and 256MB NVidia QuadroT FX Go 1400 with 64-bit drivers
> Got Raid-1 ON A NOTEBOOK!!
>
> Any Sugguestions I should know about 64-bit, before hitting the on button?
>
> Tim.

Sorry to hear it.

The P4 EM64t is still hobbled to a 400MHz Northbridge chipset for I/O from
RAM to Proc.
It does not have an On die memory controller.
It does not have Direct Connect Architecture.
It does not support the Hypertransport protocol.

You get a P4 with all the old bottlenecks still intact.

Should have gone AMD.

You lose.

Bobby

PJB 11-17-2005 08:08 AM

Re: I will be the first XP-64bit Intel Pentium based Notebook

I have an Asus A6 64 bit Turion notebook. Not as fast as my Dual Processor
Opteron but it is fully 64 bit driver compatible with the OEM version of XP
Pro x64.

Now that impresses me more than an Intel P4.

Peter Banks
NZ.