Velocity Reviews

-   -   multiple OS/drivers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489850-multiple-os-drivers.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?= 11-07-2005 10:00 PM

multiple OS/drivers

hi,

I already have xp x64 installed on my computer, but since it does not
support all 32bit software I want to install normal windows xp again. but
since i read on this forum to install the newest version of windows the last
i wanted
to make sure if there is another way of doing this (maybe install 32bit on
other partition), since I rather not uninstall xp x64 to reinstall it again.

the thing I was wondering about is the chipset driver for my motherboard
(using Asus A8n SLI Deluxe), the chipset drivers are different files for
different OS. But I need the chipset drivers to use a certain version of the
bios. so does anyone know if this will cause problems when using multiple OS
or
what i should do ?

for anyone that tries to help thanks in advance
(one of the problems was that i tried to play black and white 2 but it said
i was using Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Professional Service Pack 1
(Build 3790) and it requires windows xp or 2000, but i thought i was using xp)

R. C. White 11-07-2005 10:53 PM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

Hi, J.V.d.b.

> since i read on this forum to install the newest version of windows the
> last

When you install the 32-bit version to a system that already has WinXP x64
installed, the 32-bit Setup will overwrite the newer startup files (C:\NTLDR
and C:|NTDETECT.COM) with the older versions. The older ones have the same
names, but they are dated earlier and they are smaller because they don't
include instructions for booting the newer WinXP x64.

So long as you follow the proper procedures (install 32-bit WinXP to a
different volume from x64, for example), all you should have to do is to
"repair" the startup files after the 32-bit installation. You can do this
in several ways. One is to boot from the WinXP x64 CD-ROM and run the
Recovery Console, using its FixMBR and FixBoot commands to restore the newer
startup files. Another way is to boot into WinXP and copy the newer
versions over the older ones; they are System and Hidden files, so you will
have to remove those Attributes before copying - and set the Attributes
again afterwards. (The long way is to do a repair install of WinXP x64
after the 32-bit installation, but that's overkill.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

John Barnes 11-08-2005 03:12 AM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

You can change the boot order of your hard drives making the new x86the boot
drive. Install the system and when you are done, change the order back.
You can also make a new file on the current drive, copy the two files ntldr
and ntdetect.com into it. Install the new system, and when you boot up in
x86 you can move the two saved files back, replacing the two that are
installed by x86.
They also can be drag and dropped from the x64 install disk.

=?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?= 11-08-2005 10:46 AM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

thanks, but what about the drivers ? since 32bit and 64bit need different
chipset drivers for the same bios version. So can I just install the normal
xp and install different drivers into normal xp later or will that cause
problems ?

John Barnes 11-08-2005 12:07 PM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

Install the Sata or Raid drivers you need at F6 (32-bit) when you install
x86. If you have an nforce3 or 4 you won't need drivers for the install.
After the systems are installed, download and install the new chipset driver
packages from Nvidia or from the website of the mobo.
If you have a BIOS that warns you will have problems if you install the BIOS
before a certain chipset version, personally, I would reinstall the older
BIOS, get your chipset drivers updated in both systems and then reinstall
the later version, but that is just my cautious approach.

=?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?= 11-08-2005 04:22 PM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

thanks, guess i know what to do now, ill go for the cautious approach

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgRmFqY3o=?= 11-09-2005 06:13 AM

RE: multiple OS/drivers

I have the same motherboard as you (very interesting...!!!) and I happened to
find the updated BIOS drivers on the ASUS website. Would you be able to help
me find out how to install the latest chipset drivers, and update the BIOS to
the latest version (I have 1006, and the latest is 1011)

I tried the windows based BIOS update utility, but that didn't work. How
did you do it?

Also, do you have issues that the PC does not go into standby completely
(i.e. fans run, and power supply fan is still running...)? I also find that
trying to reboot, the PC just hangs at the blue screen just before it goes
black.

Do you know of any settings I need to change in the BIOS? I have both the
power management options enabled S1 and S3...
Enough for now.

Thanks in advance...

John Barnes 11-09-2005 11:59 AM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

I don't know where you are looking, but the latest BIOS for the A8N-SLI
Deluxe (maybe you have a different model) is 1014 (or 1015.005 beta). The
chipset driver package is clearly presented and you download it and click on
it. It decompresses itself onto your C (default) drive. Follow the install
instructions. Then you can update the BIOS. Download AWDFLASH and the BIOS
and create a bootable floppy, put the two files on it and set your BIOS to
boot from a floppy first. At the A prompt, type AWDFLASH and when asked
type the name of the BIOS ie 1014.bin
If you have AVAST A/V that may be causing your shutdown problem.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgRmFqY3o=?= 11-12-2005 05:18 AM

Re: multiple OS/drivers

Thanks John.

Yes, I have Avast AV. I guess that may be it. I'll try disabling it to see.

Thanks for the BIOS info. I thought there might be something with the
software. I have updated with floppies before, but it looks like I'll have
to do it again.

James.