Velocity Reviews

-   -   Constant Disk Access (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489717-constant-disk-access.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?= 10-26-2005 01:55 AM

Constant Disk Access

When I first built my computer, I had constant disk access for about a week.
It finally calmed down to just when I used it. Now three weeks later, it is
back. The drives just will not stop running. I can't play a movie in the DVD
plaver because the HD activity is sucking up all my I/O band width. I get
some real jerky video. This should not be happening since I am running a dual
core AMD 3800+ with 2 gig of Ram, and 5 250 gig SATA II hard drives. I need
to explain this. "C" & "D" are a single SATA II drive with 50 gig set aside
for the "C" drive. The "E" drive is also stand alone on a SATA II connection.
The other three drives are set up in a raid 5 configuration on SATA I
connections. The drives are all Hitachi and reconfigured to support SATA II
even though the raid 5 configuration does not support it.

John Barnes 10-26-2005 03:04 AM

Re: Constant Disk Access

Have you checked Task Manager to see what processes are doing the I/O
activity. Add the I/O Reads and Writes to the columns and if necessary sort
by Reads or Writes. Let the group know the results.

Tony Sperling 10-26-2005 12:38 PM

Re: Constant Disk Access

You may need specific 64bit drivers installed all in one go from windows
installation, if you boot and have unsupported hardware that looks 'vaguely'
O.K. to the OS, it will not stop searching for something to make the
connection. This seems to be rather specific behavior with SATA hardware -
perhaps because basic support is built in already.

John's advice is excellent! See if you can find that process.

Tony. . .

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?= 11-02-2005 01:57 AM

Re: Constant Disk Access

John,

I shut down every process listed until I hit one SVChost that shut my
computer down for me. It rebooted fine, but it did get my attention. I tried
it several more times. I killed everything that was clocking I/O's and still
have no luck. It did this when I first built it, but after a week or so it
stopped. Now it is back.

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?= 11-02-2005 02:05 AM

Re: Constant Disk Access

Tony,

I installed a WINTV card (Win MCE ONLY!!). I yanked it out and no change. I
went digging and found some PCI bridge in never never land, so I disabled it.
Still no luck. I went out and downloaded the beta chipset drivers for the
GA-K8N Ultra-9 and re-enabled the PCI bridge problem child. I ran the update
and rebooted. Now I do not hac=ve anything in never never land per device
manager. However, we are still pounding right along. I will shut down some of
the processes as soon as I de-install NAV 10 for x64 to be sure it is not
doing something funny.

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?= 11-02-2005 02:19 AM

Re: Constant Disk Access

Tony,

I killed everything. The only items left are critical processes and still no
luck. Some of the items respawned on their own afer I did them in. Maybe a
complete reload since I have the new chipset driver?

Colin Barnhorst 11-02-2005 06:11 AM

Re: Constant Disk Access

That's the service host that has to run in order for any service to run.
There are usually several instances of it. It is better to shut down
services and leave SVChost alone.

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?= 11-12-2005 09:29 PM

Re: Constant Disk Access

Colin,

Found the problem. It is Silicon Raid controller. I am running three
250 gig disks in a raid 5 configuration on this controller. I am using the
x64 beta drivers from Giga-Byte's web site. As soon as I go into system and
disable/deinstall the controller, life is great. Well, I can't get to my 3
drives....

Colin Barnhorst 11-12-2005 10:09 PM

Re: Constant Disk Access

I hope you have a means to do a bug report to GB. Hopefully it will be
resolved in the final release of the driver. Glad you solved it.