Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489703-xp-pro-stopping-on-acpitabl-dat.html)

Dennis Gordon 10-24-2005 08:11 PM

XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

I'm dual booting XP Pro/XP 64 bit. When I booted into XP Pro today, AVG did
some sort of major upgrade that required me to reboot. I started crashing
out of XP Pro shortly after the desktop appeared. Tried booting in Safe
Mode. Get to ACPITABL.DAT and the machine hangs for a while and then
reboots, so I can'to a ststem restore. Googled a bit and see that this can
be fixed with a repair installation from the CD, but since I'm dual booting,
I'm a bit hesitant. Since I can see the XP Pro system files from 64 bit,
would it be possible to fix the problem while in 64 bit, or must I do the
repair installation? Thanks...

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-24-2005 08:21 PM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

I'm afraid it's a double repair installation for you, Dennis. Because the
32-bit one will hose your boot files. If you save off the boot files before
hand, and then copy them back, you should be OK and only have to do the
32-bit repair install.

I would not trust copying the files back. You might not get everything, and
then you might be in worse shape.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon 10-24-2005 08:40 PM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

Yikes... Guess I'll stick around in 64 bit for a while until I have the
time. What boot files would I be saving? Just the MBR?. Can I do a repair
installation from the 64 bit Trial ISO disk?

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-24-2005 10:36 PM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

scan back through the discussions here on dual boot. I don't pay attention
to the file details, since I always install in the correct order anyway.
(and in these days of virtual machines have little or no use for dual
booting anyway except for the occasional BIOS burn or its equivalent.)

You can do a repair from whatever version you currently have on your
machine. If you use trial to repair, you've only got trial on it when you're
done. :(

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 10-24-2005 11:00 PM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

This is the one you are referring to Charlie?
From an earlier post by John Barnes:
Also if your system drive is the x64 partition, you will need to save copies
of the ntldr and ntdetect.com BEFORE you install the x86 version as it will
overwrite them. You can clean up everything from the x86 system after it
boots up. First reinstall the saved files to replace the ones installed by
x86, then fix your boot.ini in system properties or safest is to go into
the recovery console and do the bootcfg /rebuild as it will know what the
disk setup is and which is not always obvious when trying to rebuild it in
system properties.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Dennis Gordon 10-25-2005 02:14 AM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

Well I didn't give up easily. Facing the prospect of bollixing both OSes, I
decided to will XP Pro back to life, by rebooting again and again (yeah, I
know...it sounds stupid). What I noticed though, is that if I tried getting
to the System Restore panel immediately after the desktop appeared, I could
get a few more seconds each time before I crashed with an IRQ Less Than
Equal error. On about the 8th try I made it all the way to System Restore
and was able to run it... and here I am. Of course, AVG immediately reloaded
the update as well as several Windows updates, so if there's a conflict, I
should find out as soon as I reboot....

Dennis Gordon 10-25-2005 02:19 AM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

....and here I am again... so it seems that Windows healed itself...;-)
Now I need to clone this noisy boot disk onto the new drive that arrived
today...

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-25-2005 06:05 AM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

Yes, I've seen it. Usually means a corrupted database that has managed to
fix a portion each time. (I've had it happen with AD and DNS on a system
that was having disk problems, for example.)

Get that disk out. Definitely.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-25-2005 06:05 AM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

yeah, probably that one.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon 10-26-2005 03:55 AM

Re: XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

Well I got good news and bad. The good is using Acronis Migrate Easy (the
lite version of their utilities) I easily cloned my boot drive to a new
drive. Took about 15 minutes. The bad news is that whatever corruption was
on the old disk has been transferred over to the new one. So, while XP 64
bit continues to run very well, my XP Pro side of things (on the new cloned
drive) is still crashing shortly after booting... every time.

Looks like I'll need to do the repair install after all. I hate to do it if
it's gonna screw up XP 64 bit. As I understand it. I need to save the
ntdetect.com and ntldr files from the 386 install; boot with the XP Pro CD
and do a repair install; then replace those two files in the new
installation. I know John mentioned something about bootcfg as well. Sorry
for being dense here. I just don't want to forget anything.

But the new drive is nice and quiet all right...;-)