Velocity Reviews

-   -   64 bit trial. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489576-64-bit-trial.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VGVjaEtub3c=?= 10-12-2005 04:56 PM

64 bit trial.

if i install the 64 bit trial edition will i have to re-install xp after the
180 days is up, or will it automatically return to the xp.
also will i have to back up my current config as i only have xp home edition.
I am in the UK, and 64 bit isn't available over here yet as a full O/S, yet
does anyone know when it will be available?
--
Ctrl+Alt+Del

John Barnes 10-12-2005 05:16 PM

Re: 64 bit trial.

You will have to re-install xp. I would recommend highly that you dual
boot in the interim if you have any doubts, and you should. There will
never be a full (retail), just a full (OEM)
You can use the Files and Transfer wizard to backup your current
configuration. Or use a backup to image the whole system.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 10-12-2005 05:17 PM

Re: 64 bit trial.

Yes, you will have to reinstall Windows XP if don't get the full version
after the 180 days is up. If you do get XP x64, you do a repair upgrade from
the trial and retain your current settings and data you might have created
while using the the trial. What you could is is create a temporary partition
for XP x64, and install XP x64 while keeping back XP Home.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Leo 10-12-2005 05:27 PM

Re: 64 bit trial.

TechKnow wrote:
> if i install the 64 bit trial edition will i have to re-install xp after the
> 180 days is up, or will it automatically return to the xp.
> also will i have to back up my current config as i only have xp home edition.

/*Install X64 on a different partition so that you can have "dual boot"./
> I am in the UK, and 64 bit isn't available over here yet as a full O/S, yet
> does anyone know when it will be available?

/*In UK, there are many places where you can buy X64 OEM right now,
here are few places to check:
www.ebuyer.com
www.savastore.com
and many more if you spend time searching the web.
Good luck........
/

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-12-2005 06:07 PM

Re: 64 bit trial.

Careful -- you need the updated version of FSTW _before_ you get rid of your
old configuration. :)
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../02/65120.aspx

--
Charlie.