Velocity Reviews

-   -   Porting of 32 Bit application on Windows XP Pro x64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489489-porting-of-32-bit-application-on-windows-xp-pro-x64.html)

=?Utf-8?B?S2lzaG9yIE1haGFqYW4=?= 10-05-2005 06:16 AM

Porting of 32 Bit application on Windows XP Pro x64

I have some applications developed for Windows XP PRO 32 Bit, Now I want
those application to work on Windows XP PRO 64 Bit and for the same I want to
execute PORTING exercise on my existing application.

Queries
1) If as per Charlie Russels notes on Microfost's site about this Windows
XP PRo x64, Windows XP PRO 64 Bit support's AMD's (Athlon and Turion) and
Intel's (Xenon and EM64T) processor, But I wanted to know if this OS
support's Itanium (IA64) processor also or not ?

2) If application executing on 64 Bit Itanium server executes as is on this
OS or those need's to rebuild using EM64T support ?

3) If Direct X based applications worked properly on Windows XP PRO 64 Bit,
or does it needs any migration ?

Regards,
- Kishor

Michael D'Angelo 10-05-2005 02:25 PM

Re: Porting of 32 Bit application on Windows XP Pro x64

"Kishor Mahajan" <Kishor Mahajan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some applications developed for Windows XP PRO 32 Bit, Now I want
> those application to work on Windows XP PRO 64 Bit and for the same I want
> execute PORTING exercise on my existing application.
>
> Queries
> 1) If as per Charlie Russels notes on Microfost's site about this Windows
> XP PRo x64, Windows XP PRO 64 Bit support's AMD's (Athlon and Turion) and
> Intel's (Xenon and EM64T) processor, But I wanted to know if this OS
> support's Itanium (IA64) processor also or not ?

No, the Itanium version of Windows XP has been discontinued. There is a
version of Server 2003 available, but it is not the same as the x64 edition.

> 2) If application executing on 64 Bit Itanium server executes as is on
> this
> OS or those need's to rebuild using EM64T support ?

Itanium is a different instruction set. An application built for Itanium
will not work on x64, it must be rebuilt. You can however use 32-bit
application for 32-bit Windows on the x64 edition.

> 3) If Direct X based applications worked properly on Windows XP PRO 64
> Bit,
> or does it needs any migration ?

There are 3 compilation targets for a C++ application for Windows: 32-bit
x86, 64-bit x86 (x64 or sometimes amd64) and 64-bit Itanium (ia64). A
32-bit x86 app can run on a 64-bit x86 OS, but if you want to have a 64-bit
program, it must be recompiled.

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-05-2005 02:54 PM

Re: Porting of 32 Bit application on Windows XP Pro x64

There are three architectures, and they all are different porting targets --
x86 (32-bit Windows), x64, and ia64. The ia64 architecture is entirely
different from x86 and x64, and is currently only appropriate for very large
server applications. Microsoft no longer makes an edition of Windows XP for
ia64(Itanium). Applications which are ported to x64 architecture will not
run on ia64, and applications which run on ia64 will not run on x64. x86
applications will generally run very well on x64, and not well if at all on
ia64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Ken Tucker [MVP] 10-09-2005 11:02 AM

Re: Porting of 32 Bit application on Windows XP Pro x64

Hi,

In addition to the other comments. The newest version of the
directx sdk supports 64bit operation systems.

Ken