Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489354-cant-boot-to-xp-64-with-drives-connected-to-maxtor-ultra-ata-133-a.html)

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?= 09-21-2005 06:29 PM

Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133

I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor Ultra
ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when I
disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the onboard
IDE controller.

During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected to
the Maxtor card.

Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the system
boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message which
reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?

My hardware is as follows:
Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
Technology)
2 WDC SATA hard drives
4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
1 IDE CD-ROM drive

Maxtor's technical support wrote:

It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration until
just recently? When did the problem start?

We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
supplied with the card itself.

Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

Rick 09-21-2005 07:03 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133

I am just guessing, but on a MB with both IDE and SATA hard drives, the
IDE is recognized by the BIOS as drive 80 & 81 (if you have only 2 IDE
HD) and the SATA is recognized as drive 82, 83, etc. This means the
systems attempts to boot from the 1st IDE drive.

If the system BIOS and/or the ATA 133 BIOS have the option to designate
the boot drive, you need to configure either or both to designate the
SATA drive with x64 on it as the 'boot' drive.

Your problem is a hardware setup/configuration problem. It is not a Win
x64 problem.

If you have no idea what I have said above, then you need to find
someone well versed in computer hardware to look at your system.

Tony Sperling 09-21-2005 07:31 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133

Hi, let's take this from the bottom. . .

"Hagop" <Hagop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor
>Ultra
> ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when
> disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
> system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the
> onboard
> IDE controller.
>

> During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected
> the Maxtor card.
>

> Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the
> system
> boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message
> which
> reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>

> This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
> which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
> hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?
>

> My hardware is as follows:
> Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
> 2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
> Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
> Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
> Technology)
> 2 WDC SATA hard drives
> 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
> 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
> 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
>

> Maxtor's technical support wrote:
>
> It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
> recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration
> until
> just recently? When did the problem start?

2.
> We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
> supplied with the card itself.

1.
> Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
> fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

1. Maybe. It's not unlikely that they can communicate their ID info to BIOS
without any 64 bit support.

2. Are those drivers 64bit? Of course, being ATA, it could be serviced from
the OS directly, but the stuff on the board must itself be able to
communicate in 64bit, am I mistaken, anyone?

It is my experience that if you have SATA on-board and put other stuff
inside there too and let the machine figure out for itself what to do with
it, you are bound to have some kind of trouble, and most likely something
that is hard to figure. Make sure that everything you put inside has 64bit
support - connected or not.

What of your BIOS? Doesn't it need to be configured so as to know where to
boot from? If you put a card inside I guess you have to disable the things
it is to replace, as a minimum. And probably also shuffle the boot-order
around a bit, I assume.

We probably would do well with some explanation of what was exchanged for
what reasons, together with some specifics of how you went about
organizing - what, at first, looks a bit 'over the top'.

Greetings, Tony. . .

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?= 09-21-2005 07:35 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

I didn't know about the drive 80-83 assignments that you wrote about, but the
rest of it made sense to me. I assume you're saying that I have to use the
system utilities (F2 during POST in my case) to specify which drive to boot
from. I have done that.

Just now when I connected two hard drives to IDE2 and two CD drives to IDE1
on the Maxtor card and the other two IDE hard drives to the system board, the
Boot Device Priority screen in my system utilities detected 6 of my 8
devices. It did not detect the two CD drives. Perhaps the issue is some
conflict with the drive assignments? I have long ago assigned my SATA drive
as the only boot device.

Then I disconnected the CD drives altogether, and got the same result.

If, as you're guessing, it's due to the Maxtor card trying to boot from one
of the hard drives connected to it, Maxtor should provide me some method to
designate all the connected drives as non-bootable drives, correct?

Rick 09-21-2005 07:42 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133

The other information I gather from checking the Promise web site, is
that your board may not currently be supported in Win x64.

The site has driver for Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/2003, but none for x64.

That's probably where your blue screen is coming from - no hardware driver.

I think you may need to look for a different IDE card.

Rick 09-21-2005 07:55 PM

Hagop wrote:
> I didn't know about the drive 80-83 assignments that you wrote about, but the
> rest of it made sense to me. I assume you're saying that I have to use the
> system utilities (F2 during POST in my case) to specify which drive to boot
> from. I have done that.

Hard drive numbers assigned by the BIOS for the hardware devices start
with hexadecimal 0x80. The IDE has the highest priority and starts with
hex 0x80 for Drive C:, or the first bootable drive. This is what the
system will default to unless there is a provision in the BIOS to
designated the boot sequence - which most MBs now have.

> Just now when I connected two hard drives to IDE2 and two CD drives to IDE1
> on the Maxtor card and the other two IDE hard drives to the system board, the
> Boot Device Priority screen in my system utilities detected 6 of my 8
> devices. It did not detect the two CD drives. Perhaps the issue is some
> conflict with the drive assignments? I have long ago assigned my SATA drive
> as the only boot device.
>
> Then I disconnected the CD drives altogether, and got the same result.
>
> If, as you're guessing, it's due to the Maxtor card trying to boot from one
> of the hard drives connected to it, Maxtor should provide me some method to
> designate all the connected drives as non-bootable drives, correct?

This would depend on whether there is a configurable BIOS on the card.
But the other problem is whether there is a driver in Win x64 to support
the card. Neither Maxtor nor Promise have a 64-bit driver listed on
their sites. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but you may need to
contact Promise directly to check that.

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?= 09-21-2005 08:11 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA

> 1.
> > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
> > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

> 1. Maybe. It's not unlikely that they can communicate their ID info to BIOS
> without any 64 bit support.

That was Maxtor's support technician. I certainly didn't assume that just
because the Maxtor card was able to report the presence of the drive all was
okay. On the contrary, I was using that information simply as verification
that the hardware was functional at the most basic level.

> 2.
> > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
> > supplied with the card itself.
> >

> 2. Are those drivers 64bit? Of course, being ATA, it could be serviced from
> the OS directly, but the stuff on the board must itself be able to
> communicate in 64bit, am I mistaken, anyone?

I am not using the drivers that came with the card. I am using the drivers
supplied by Microsoft on the XP 64 disk. I would hope that anything on that
distribution would work correctly, but who knows? The card is listed under
"SCSI and RAID controllers" as "Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE
Controller". The driver details are as follows:

Provider: Microsoft
Date: 10/1/2002
Version: 5.2.3790.1830
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

Driver File Details:
Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller
Driver files:
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys
Provider: Promise Technology, Inc.
File version: 2.1.0.1
Copyright: (c) 1988-2002 Promise Technology Inc.
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

> It is my experience that if you have SATA on-board and put other stuff
> inside there too and let the machine figure out for itself what to do with
> it, you are bound to have some kind of trouble, and most likely something
> that is hard to figure. Make sure that everything you put inside has 64bit
> support - connected or not.

I don't know what to make of this paragraph. It doesn't seem like a stretch
to expect 64 bit support of IDE devices. I would expect that the OS has the
ability to support these devices, and the hardware follows some defined
protocols to identify/numerate itself to the OS.

> What of your BIOS? Doesn't it need to be configured so as to know where to
> boot from? If you put a card inside I guess you have to disable the things
> it is to replace, as a minimum. And probably also shuffle the boot-order
> around a bit, I assume.

I have configured the BIOS to boot only from the SATA drive on which my OS
is installed. The system utilities (F2 at POST in my case) detect the other
hard drives installed on the Ultra ATA card. I have excluded them from the
list of boot devices.

> We probably would do well with some explanation of what was exchanged for
> what reasons, together with some specifics of how you went about
> organizing - what, at first, looks a bit 'over the top'.

I don't know what you're looking for when you're asking for "what was
exchanged for what reasons." If you're asking how I've arranged my IDE
chains, I'd be happy to provide the details, but I didn't think it very
relevant to the problem I'm experiencing.

Rick 09-21-2005 08:40 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133

I think you should go to the Microsoft web site and do a search on:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I just did and there are many reference that come back. It seems most
indicate a software problem, but one or two do caution about hardware
incompatibility.

Your problem really sounds like you need to get someone to do some
hands-on trouble shooting.

Date: 10/1/2002
Version: 5.2.3790.1830

cristalink 09-21-2005 08:53 PM

Re: Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133

Blue screens are caused either by bad drivers or faulty hardware.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a faulty driver.

You can use Microsoft WinDbg from Debugging Tools for Windows (it's free) to
find out the name of the offending driver by analyzing the crash dump. It's
not as hard as it sounds. All you need is load a crash dump then type
"!analyze -v". Or you can try Windows Driver Verifier (verifier.exe). Once
you get the name of the driver, you can try to disable it, get a fixed
version, or contact the manufacturer with some evidence at hand.
--
http://www.firestreamer.com
Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,