Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win 2003 x64 Installation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489314-win-2003-x64-installation.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TmFuZGh1?= 09-18-2005 08:47 AM

Win 2003 x64 Installation

Hi, We are trying to install win 2003 x64 on IBM X366 server with Intel Xeon.
This server doesn't posses floppy drive. Hence we are using an external USB
floppy drive for loading RAID Controller device drivers. Initally it accepts
the floppy dirve, but when the windows setup starts and it looks for the raid
controllers and doesn't senses the USB floppy drive. What would be problem ?
Please help.

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-18-2005 09:54 PM

Re: Win 2003 x64 Installation

I'm not familiar with that particular server, but most machines these days
have a BIOS setting that allows the use of USB floppy drives before the OS
takes over and sees them properly. The setting is often something like
"Legacy USB support".

Failing that, consider one of two alternatives: getting IBM to actually
support their hardware, or temporarily plugging in an old 3.5" floppy drive
the traditional way. (Note that floppy drives are currently selling for
significantly LESS than $20 CAD so it shouldn't be a huge issue from that
perspective.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?TmFuZGh1?= 09-19-2005 03:54 AM

Re: Win 2003 x64 Installation

Thanks you Russel. The BIOS setting is done and the external USB floppy drive
works fine. Initally it copies some drivers from the drive and as soon as the
Windows setup starts, it becomes disabled. Microsoft says there is some
problem in sensing the USB drives in Win2003 and there is some updates
available to fix it. But that can be used only after Windows is up. Again,
plugging in a traditional floppy drive is not supported by the server.
External USB is the only way.

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-19-2005 05:13 AM

Re: Win 2003 x64 Installation

Then your only solution is a discussion with IBM -- they provided the
hardware, it is THEIR job to provide drivers that work. However, there
should be no reason why it needs to read the USB floppy again after it does
the driver load. Once it goes to the GUI part of the setup, a different
process is involved. It should have the drivers already on the hard drive at
that point, along with the Windows installation files. So it could be that
the drivers are not properly decorated. See my blog on F6 drivers and the
different stages of the setup routine.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64