Velocity Reviews

-   -   I hate asking this...but (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489193-i-hate-asking-this-but.html)

Dennis Gordon 09-10-2005 01:10 PM

I hate asking this...but

At the risk of sounding like a newb, or inflaming the more sensitive
types...

I've been planning a new build around a 3800 X2 and that spiffy cheap ASRock
ULI1695 board. I've always built Intel, but the repeated warnings on
Smithfield heating issues has put me off.

I've been reading up all I can on the dual cores, and while everyone loves
the X2s, it seems that it's all about games, games, games.

This new build is for work. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat...etc.

Okay, maybe solitaire.

The benches that I've seen show the 830EE outperforming the 3800 X2 in those
areas of content creation that I use. I don't care about FPS, Doom, Quake
KOTOR etc. I need graphic processing power.

The nice thing is, my company pays for the parts. I could order what I want
within reason and do another build in a few months if I want. Foretunately
for them I'm not into ****ing money away, even if it's not mine.

So my question is: for my XP64 needs would the 830EE be a better fit than
the 3800 X2? I'm guessing that the AMD chip might have a better upgrade
future, but I'd like some calm advice.

I want to order by the end of the month.

Thanks...

NoNoBadDog! 09-10-2005 01:43 PM

Re: I hate asking this...but

Dennis;

The only benchmark that the 830 beats the AMD in is in the video render,
and that is only because that particular test was written *for the P4 and
Hyperthreading*. Since most video apps are *NOT* written to take advantage
of hyperthreading, the test is not a valid indicator. A more accurate
comparison is when the video render app is not hyperthreading aware...the
AMD outperforms the Intel.

Add to that that the current crop of Intel Dual-Core procs are not *true*
dual core...they cannot see or communicate with each other directly. They
must go out through the Northbridge chipset to communicate with each other.
Which brings up the point that the Intel Dual Core are still hobbled with a
sloooowwww Northbridge chipset, do not have Direct Connect Architecture, do
not use Hypertransport, and the L1 (data) and L2 caches are inclusive
(meaning the same data is kept in both, reducing the effective L2 cache by
the size of the L1 (data).

You are far better off going with the AMD.

Bobby

((((NOTE)))) To all the Lamers and Flamers out there who think Intel is
God...I will not read your useless rants...

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-10-2005 02:14 PM

Re: I hate asking this...but

If the company is paying for it, I'd go with a dual core, dual opteron model
myself. ;) With lots and lots of RAM. But on a more reasonable level, I
would probably pop for the 4200 not the 3800 -- I think it's the sweet spot
of price/performance right now.

I had nothing but intel until x64. I haven't bought an intel x64 yet, though
the next one I buy may be, just for balance. I would really like to get one
of these boxes moved to dual core but other than that, I've been happy.

On the Uli chipset -- Since no one has used one here yet, I'd be pretty
leary. And we really don't have a clue about the driver and bios situation.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon 09-10-2005 03:08 PM

Re: I hate asking this...but

If you go towards the end of this looonnnngg thread, you'll see some reports
of ULI 1695 users. There's a 1.20 BIOS that apparently has cleared up some
early issues.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/u...;f=30;t=004749

The 4200 does look nice, but right now $400 is my sweet spot, so I'd like to
see it drop a bit in the next few weeks...

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-11-2005 05:37 AM

Re: I hate asking this...but

Well, I'd still go for the 4200. Yes, it's a bit more. But not all that
much. Now I'd love a pair of dual opterons, but that's not on my budget. But
I might just squeeze the 4200. (and I don't have a company to buy it, plus I
have to pay Canadian prices.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64