Velocity Reviews

-   -   pre-mature expiration of xp64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489107-pre-mature-expiration-of-xp64.html)

=?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?= 09-03-2005 05:22 AM

pre-mature expiration of xp64

My xp64 trial ended 6 months early (supposed to be for a year). How can I
restore it without having to reinstall? What could have caused this? The
only out of the ordinary thing I noticed was that yesterday my calendar was
displaying June 1 2005 instead of Sep. 1 2005. Prior to that, however, the
date was always correct. I installed the trial late feb. 2005. I corrected
the date yesterday and then when I went to boot up for the first time today,
it gave me the message to buy a retail version my trial expired. TIA

John Barnes 09-03-2005 11:43 AM

Re: pre-mature expiration of xp64

Your trial was not for 1 year, it is a 120 day trial. I don't remember when
the download was available, but if you downloaded it in early May, it would
have expired for real.

Rick 09-03-2005 01:30 PM

tony2020 wrote:
> My xp64 trial ended 6 months early (supposed to be for a year). How can I
> restore it without having to reinstall? What could have caused this? The
> only out of the ordinary thing I noticed was that yesterday my calendar was
> displaying June 1 2005 instead of Sep. 1 2005. Prior to that, however, the
> date was always correct. I installed the trial late feb. 2005. I corrected
> the date yesterday and then when I went to boot up for the first time today,
> it gave me the message to buy a retail version my trial expired. TIA

You don't have a "Trial" version of XP x64 - you probably have RC2
(Release Candidate 2), which legally expired on Monday, April 25, 22005,
when Microsoft officially released the final OEM version of XP x64.

The reason it 'expired' early is because you made a date change that was
significant enough to cause the OS to expire.

Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
and sign up for the true Trial version that is only good for 120 days.

Rick 09-03-2005 03:44 PM

Rick wrote:
> tony2020 wrote:
>
>> My xp64 trial ended 6 months early (supposed to be for a year). How
>> can I restore it without having to reinstall? What could have caused
>> this? The only out of the ordinary thing I noticed was that yesterday
>> my calendar was displaying June 1 2005 instead of Sep. 1 2005. Prior
>> to that, however, the date was always correct. I installed the trial
>> late feb. 2005. I corrected the date yesterday and then when I went
>> to boot up for the first time today, it gave me the message to buy a
>> retail version my trial expired. TIA

> You don't have a "Trial" version of XP x64 - you probably have RC2
> (Release Candidate 2), which legally expired on Monday, April 25, 2005,
> when Microsoft officially released the final OEM version of XP x64.
>
> The reason it 'expired' early is because you made a date change that was
> significant enough to cause the OS to expire.
>
> Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
> and sign up for the true Trial version that is only good for 120 days.

Typo correction, my keyboard stuttered on the year - 22005 vs 2005.

=?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?= 09-03-2005 05:40 PM

Re: pre-mature expiration of xp64

Yes, it was RC2, but seems I recall it was good for 360 days. Anyways, if
I install this 120 day trial, will I be able to do that without it erasing my
files on the computer? If not, how can I get those backed up? Could I also
reinstall the RC2 and save my files? At this point, that is my primary goal.
Worst case, could I install normal XP without the files being lost? Also, I
did try to change the date back in the bios, but that didn't help. TIA

Rick 09-03-2005 06:06 PM

tony2020 wrote:
> Yes, it was RC2, but seems I recall it was good for 360 days. Anyways, if
> I install this 120 day trial, will I be able to do that without it erasing my
> files on the computer? If not, how can I get those backed up? Could I also
> reinstall the RC2 and save my files? At this point, that is my primary goal.
> Worst case, could I install normal XP without the files being lost? Also, I
> did try to change the date back in the bios, but that didn't help. TIA

Depending on what the files are, you might be able to install XP 32-bit
on a separate drive and access the files when booted into XP 32-bit.

Although it is neither recommended nor supported, you could probably
download the Trial version and do a "repair install" just to copy the
data off you're interested in. Then you should completely erase that
installation and do a clean installation. RC2 still had Beta files and
the Trial version has all RTM files.

It has been suggested that you can actually "upgrade" from the Trail
version to the OEM version doing a "repair install" but I have no
experience doing this.

GregRo 09-04-2005 02:21 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:06:54 -0400, Rick <rick@home.net> wrote:

>tony2020 wrote:
>> Yes, it was RC2, but seems I recall it was good for 360 days. Anyways, if
>> I install this 120 day trial, will I be able to do that without it erasing my
>> files on the computer? If not, how can I get those backed up? Could I also
>> reinstall the RC2 and save my files? At this point, that is my primary goal.
>> Worst case, could I install normal XP without the files being lost? Also, I
>> did try to change the date back in the bios, but that didn't help. TIA
>>

>Depending on what the files are, you might be able to install XP 32-bit
>on a separate drive and access the files when booted into XP 32-bit.
>
>Although it is neither recommended nor supported, you could probably
>download the Trial version and do a "repair install" just to copy the
>data off you're interested in. Then you should completely erase that
>installation and do a clean installation. RC2 still had Beta files and
>the Trial version has all RTM files.
>
>It has been suggested that you can actually "upgrade" from the Trail
>version to the OEM version doing a "repair install" but I have no
>experience doing this.

He should of been warned that his system was set to expire

I don't use 64bit system. I have read that rc was for one year.

Greg Ro

Rick 09-04-2005 01:08 PM

GregRo wrote:
> He should of been warned that his system was set to expire
>
> I don't use 64bit system. I have read that rc was for one year.
>

> Greg Ro

The reason he wasn't warned is because he made such a drastic date
correction. This fact has been posted numerous time.

Although the RC2 package has a "time bomb" that is supposed to be quiet
for 1 year, the license to use RC2 states that it is no longer a valid
license when the final version of the OS is released - the final version
was released on Monday, April 25, 2005. So, to be in full compliance of
the license, and it is legally enforceable, RC2 expired on Monday, April
25, 2005.

This has been pointed out numerous times in this forum. What don't you
understand?