Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scanner (again) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489092-scanner-again.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= 09-01-2005 11:17 PM

Scanner (again)

The only true reason for keeping dual boot (x32 and x64) is that I have no
x64 driver for my USB Agfa Snapscan Touch scanner.
Is it possible to run some Virtual Machine Program (VirtualPC, VMWare),
install WindowsXP 32bit on it, install my scanner and use it without leaving
WinXP x64?
Help Andre, Help Charlie Russel, Help everyody!
Carlos

James Park 09-02-2005 03:46 AM

Re: Scanner (again)

"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The only true reason for keeping dual boot (x32 and x64) is that I have no
> x64 driver for my USB Agfa Snapscan Touch scanner.
> Is it possible to run some Virtual Machine Program (VirtualPC, VMWare),
> install WindowsXP 32bit on it, install my scanner and use it without
> leaving
> WinXP x64?

Virtual PC does not support USB devices (doesn't work on x64 anyway), but
WMWare does. Check out their trial and see if it works out for you.

Dominic Payer 09-02-2005 06:54 AM

Re: Scanner (again)

VMWare Workstation 5 supports USB devices and works in XP64.
I set up my printer and scanners under Windows 2000 and they worked.

There is a 30 day trial version of VMWare. You can test it and see how it
works for you before buying. You could use your existing copy of XP32 for
testing, but don't activate it - the virtual machine is seen as different
hardware.

The virtual machine can be saved and re-installed if you decide to use this
method. Activate it then.

The virtual machine can be suspended and resumed very quickly.

Dominic Payer 09-02-2005 07:20 AM

Re: Scanner (again)

It could be cheaper (and better) to get a new scanner than buy VMWare
Workstation.

64 bit drivers are available for most, if not all, current Epson scanners.
Check your local Epson support site for driver availability.

Other manufacturers may have drivers sometime.

Andre Da Costa 09-02-2005 02:32 PM

Re: Scanner (again)

Well, Carlos, I agree with the others, if you just want to stay in one
environment and use a virtual environment that supports your scanner, I
would definitely go with VM Ware.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWFrb2E=?= 09-04-2005 10:09 PM

Re: Scanner (again)

"64 bit drivers are available for most, if not all, current Epson scanners. "

I really wish this were true.....I have an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo
scanner and an X64 driver is NO WHERE to be found. (even as of this post.)

If I'm wrong and you have a link that would be GREAT!!!

Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX] 09-04-2005 10:40 PM

Re: Scanner (again)

Sorry, no driver for you :

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vie...7A178BE10A7711

....and no driver for me, neither (scanner EPSON GT-7000 Photo).

EPSON is *very* disappointing in this respect.

Dominic Payer 09-05-2005 06:30 AM

Re: Scanner (again)

See the list at the end of this pdf file from Epson Australia
http://www.downloads.epson.com.au/Do...&Path=TechTips

Epson seem to support only current production models and the 1670 and
GT-7000 have been superseded.

The hope for the future is that "not currently planned" won't mean "never".

"Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX]" <nnbxx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:enR91GasFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

David R. Norton 09-05-2005 07:14 PM

Re: Scanner (again)

"Dominic Payer" <dominic@dcpayer.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> See the list at the end of this pdf file from Epson Australia

http://www.downloads.epson.com.au/Do...+64+bit+Window
s.pdf&Path=TechTips

> Epson seem to support only current production models and the 1670 and
> GT-7000 have been superseded.
>
> The hope for the future is that "not currently planned" won't mean

"never".

I lost the use of my scanner when Windows 2000 came out, Epson emailed me
that they would not build a compatible driver for Win2k because the scanner
was not current production. It seems they were more honest then? "not
currently planned" does mean never.

Of course it's not a problem for me, I've never bought another Epson product
and never will since they seem to think turning a $1,200 scanner into a
doorstop because they won't write a driver for a non-current product is
satisfactory to their customers....

--
David R. Norton MVP (shell/user)
d_r_norton@yahoo.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWFrb2E=?= 09-07-2005 02:07 AM

Re: Scanner (again)

Guys...I've been writing (more like spamming) all the vendors who's devices I
own that DON'T have x64 drivers.
THIS is what EPSON said to me about it....(probably just stroking me along
anyway)

ME -
"When (if at all??) are you going to produce drivers for the 64-bit version
of Windows?
I have a 1670 Photo Scanner of yours that is useless to me otherwise."

EPSON -
"The majority of current Seiko Epson Corporation drivers have been written
to work on a 32 bit operating system architecture.
You will likely experience difficulty installing the current 32 bit drivers
on a 64 bit Windows operating system. We are working on posting new 64 bit
drivers for many of our products in the coming months, and any new drivers
and / or details concerning 64 bit drivers will be posted on our website at
www.epson.com once they become available."

THIS SAID NOTHING ABOUT ONLY SUPPORTING CURRENTLY SOLD PRODUCTS!
Almost makes me want to grab the 32-bit driver and take it to one of my
programer buddies to see if they can "jimmie" it up to 64-bit.

Sheesh...what a GREAT business model... Epson may need a new slogan:

Epson: just a little bit better than crack dealers.