Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Windows 64bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f46-windows-64bit.html)
-   -   win64 trial version question (yeah, me again) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t489055-win64-trial-version-question-yeah-me-again.html)

miso@sushi.com 08-30-2005 04:38 AM

win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
Reading the email that microsquish sent me, it sounds like they want
you to load the OS from windows itself, i.e. the CDROM is not bootable.
Can I load this from one partition (in this case winXP pro) to another
partition that I will make for win64? Or do I have to "upgrade" my
winXP pro to win64.

FWIW, I'm moving all my data to yet another partition in the event
things really get out of hand. Dumb question #2, and probably too late
at this point, but is there a faster way to move file from one
partition to another other than using the windows explorer. This
particular database has over a million files, so moving it takes all
day even on a fast PC.


NoNoBadDog! 08-30-2005 04:44 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 

<miso@sushi.com> wrote in message
news:1125376716.148849.248520@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Reading the email that microsquish sent me, it sounds like they want
> you to load the OS from windows itself, i.e. the CDROM is not bootable.
> Can I load this from one partition (in this case winXP pro) to another
> partition that I will make for win64? Or do I have to "upgrade" my
> winXP pro to win64.
>
> FWIW, I'm moving all my data to yet another partition in the event
> things really get out of hand. Dumb question #2, and probably too late
> at this point, but is there a faster way to move file from one
> partition to another other than using the windows explorer. This
> particular database has over a million files, so moving it takes all
> day even on a fast PC.
>

You cannot install it from within windows.

You can only install it by booting from the CD.

Bobby



miso@sushi.com 08-30-2005 05:34 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
Well, here is what microsquish emails:
---------
To install the trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Trial Software Kit:

1. Download the ISO image file from the URL in the Getting Started
section below and save the file to your hard disk.

2. Using a CD-RW drive and software, burn the ISO image of Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition to a blank CD. Most CD burning software will
recognize an ISO file. If your software does not recognize this format,
you can burn it as a raw data file.

3. Insert the CD you burned into the CD-ROM drive of the computer on
which you want to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

4. The Setup file on the CD should open automatically. If it does not,
in Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD to begin installation
and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.

If the download prematurely terminates or the size of the downloaded
ISO file is not between 550 and 600 MB, you will need to restart the
download process.
----------------------------
It sure sounds like you do the install from within windows.


NoNoBadDog! 08-30-2005 06:03 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
Okay, just try and follow the instructions and see what happens....

I have no idea who "microsquish" is.

If you insert the CD that you make from the .iso, and let it run, it will
pop up a windows that will read as follows:

This version of Windows must be installed by booting off the CD.

Please reboot your computer with the CD in the drive.

When you reboot, it will offer to install to the location of your choice.

You *CANNOT* install it from within windows.

If you can't even get that far, why are you trying to install it?

Bobby


<miso@sushi.com> wrote in message
news:1125380071.850496.173410@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> Well, here is what microsquish emails:
> ---------
> To install the trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> Trial Software Kit:
>
> 1. Download the ISO image file from the URL in the Getting Started
> section below and save the file to your hard disk.
>
> 2. Using a CD-RW drive and software, burn the ISO image of Windows XP
> Professional x64 Edition to a blank CD. Most CD burning software will
> recognize an ISO file. If your software does not recognize this format,
> you can burn it as a raw data file.
>
> 3. Insert the CD you burned into the CD-ROM drive of the computer on
> which you want to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
>
> 4. The Setup file on the CD should open automatically. If it does not,
> in Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD to begin installation
> and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.
>
> If the download prematurely terminates or the size of the downloaded
> ISO file is not between 550 and 600 MB, you will need to restart the
> download process.
> ----------------------------
> It sure sounds like you do the install from within windows.
>




miso@sushi.com 08-30-2005 06:42 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
I'm trying to find out the problems before I install the software.

Note the microsquish instructions did not indicate the CD should be
made bootable.


NoNoBadDog! 08-30-2005 06:55 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 

<miso@sushi.com> wrote in message
news:1125384164.923194.304740@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> I'm trying to find out the problems before I install the software.
>
> Note the microsquish instructions did not indicate the CD should be
> made bootable.
>

If you follow the instructions, burning an image form an .iso file makes the
disk bootable.

Perhaps you are placing too much in the instructions provided.

1. Download the .iso.

2. Burn a CD from disk image using the .iso you downloaded.

3. Make sure your BIOS is set up to boot from CD first.

4. Place the new made CD in the drive, and reboot.

5. Prompt will appear "To boot from CD press any key"

6. Press any key, and follow the prompts.

7. Have any 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers you need to access your hard
disks...you will have to
install them when prompted during the installation process.

8. Windows will reboot..just let it reboot and ignore any prompts (the
first time).

9. If you are dual booting, your boot screen will now have a screen which
will allow you to
choose which OS you want to boot into.

Bobby



miso@sushi.com 08-30-2005 07:28 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
Is win XP like NT, i.e. you can select the boot, or do I need to set up
Partition Magic's boot program?


NoNoBadDog! 08-30-2005 07:55 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 

<miso@sushi.com> wrote in message
news:1125386882.779415.221540@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Is win XP like NT, i.e. you can select the boot, or do I need to set up
> Partition Magic's boot program?
>


As long as you install to a separate partition or a separate HDD, then your
boot.ini will be modified to give you a choice at start up.

I currently boot with 4 different Oases on this computer (each on it's own
HDD):

1. Windows XP Professional
2. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
3. Solaris 10
4. Windows XP Professional (bare boot for testing purposes).

Bobby




miso@sushi.com 08-30-2005 07:58 AM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
FWIW, loading the CD while running XP does tell you to use the CD as a
boot disk. Makes you wonder why MS sent such a cryptic message in their
email.


Andre Da Costa 08-30-2005 02:13 PM

Re: win64 trial version question (yeah, me again)
 
No, you are not suppose to extract the ISO, here are the instructions on how
to burn an ISO:

you have to burn it CD, not copy it, do not extract the ISO, thats the bad
way
to do it. You need boot off the Windows XP Professional x64 CD-ROM to do the
installation, can't run setup from within 32 bit Windows.

Instructions for burning ISO using either Nero or Easy CD Creator:
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
<miso@sushi.com> wrote in message
news:1125376716.148849.248520@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Reading the email that microsquish sent me, it sounds like they want
> you to load the OS from windows itself, i.e. the CDROM is not bootable.
> Can I load this from one partition (in this case winXP pro) to another
> partition that I will make for win64? Or do I have to "upgrade" my
> winXP pro to win64.
>
> FWIW, I'm moving all my data to yet another partition in the event
> things really get out of hand. Dumb question #2, and probably too late
> at this point, but is there a faster way to move file from one
> partition to another other than using the windows explorer. This
> particular database has over a million files, so moving it takes all
> day even on a fast PC.
>




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.