Velocity Reviews

-   -   Versions of x64 Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488950-versions-of-x64-windows.html)

Colin Nowell 08-20-2005 10:14 PM

Versions of x64 Windows

I'm starting to get a bit confused as to what builds of x64 Windows are
actually out there and their associated names?

As I've said many times, the one I purchased for this machine is titled:

"Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" (an OEM shrink wrapped copy
in a DVD case)

....and it reports Build 3790 (Service Pack 1) - (I know the SP1 reporting is
erroneous to this version already)

Can someone explain to me how this relates to all the other (seemingly)
versions of x64? (e.g. Vista etc etc)

Colin

Andre Da Costa 08-20-2005 10:36 PM

Re: Versions of x64 Windows

Currently there is only one client edition of Windows XP 64-bit that is
released and its Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. The build number 3790,
reflects the code base upon which Windows XP Pro x64 was built which is
Windows Server 2003 SP1, thats why it carries the SP1 naming instead of the
SP2 naming which supported for Windows XP Professional x86 (32-bit). But not
to worry, the SP1 included with XP Pro x64 has all of the SP2 Security
technologies. The shrink wrapped OEM Case is just the packaging for this
special edition of Windows which supports 64 bit hardware only (AMD 64 and
Intel EM64T)

Windows Vista x64 is just one of the many editions of the next version of
Windows planned and its still is the early stages of development. I wouldn't
bother to worry about that right now, except to say it will be released in
both x64 and x86 to support the appropriate hardware architectures out
there.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

John Barnes 08-20-2005 10:48 PM

Re: Versions of x64 Windows

There is only one Windows XP Professional x64 Edition OEM. Vista is the
new name for the Longhorn OS which is to be released sometime next year.

Charlie Russel - MVP 08-20-2005 10:49 PM

Re: Versions of x64 Windows

That is the shipping version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. The SP1
is correct, since this release is actually built on Windows Server 2003 SP1
code. The other versions of x64 Windows are: Windows Server 2003 Standard
x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, and Windows Server
2003 Datacenter x64 Edition. They are server OSs instead of client OSs.

Windows Vista is the current name for a future operating system that may or
may not have the Vista name by the time it ships, but is at this point in
the VERY early stages of the beta process. It is unclear what the final
available versioning will look like, but there will definitely be x64
versions when it ships.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Nowell 08-20-2005 10:50 PM

Re: Versions of x64 Windows

Thanks, that's cleared that up. Nice concise answer. :-)

However, still can't figure why Real Player 10.5 installs on Vista but not
on this?

Colin