Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488946-why-isnt-windows-64bit-backwards-compatible.html)

=?Utf-8?B?amFtaWVjY2Nw?= 08-20-2005 06:04 PM

Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

Is it due to software issues or chip architecture?

If its chip architecture i'm assuming that AMD 939 chips cant process 64bit
code simultaneously with 16 and 32 bit. My question is if this is true then
how do chips made by Intel and AMD process code simultaneously.

Also if its a software issue, how long will it be until Windows 64bit
becomes backward compatible?

Steve Thompson 08-20-2005 06:44 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

jamiecccp wrote:
> Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?
>
> Is it due to software issues or chip architecture?
>
> If its chip architecture i'm assuming that AMD 939 chips cant process 64bit
> code simultaneously with 16 and 32 bit. My question is if this is true then
> how do chips made by Intel and AMD process code simultaneously.
>
> Also if its a software issue, how long will it be until Windows 64bit
> becomes backward compatible?

It's not the chip. As new operating systems evolve e.g. from 16 bit to
32 bit to 64 bit, at some point you just have to drop the 16 bit apps.
You could install DOS and or DOS and Windows 3.1 on your machine if you
wanted to but what's the point? I have a couple of old 486's sitting in
my closet if I needed to do that. It's evolution; Simple as that.

Cheers,

--
Steve Thompson
Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net

Charlie Russel - MVP 08-20-2005 06:45 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

It _is_ backwards compatible. What aren't compatible are drivers. System
level drivers must be 64-bit. That won't change. As for 16 bit code? That
would require support in the OS, which I suppose would have been technically
possible, but would have caused all sorts of other issues. MS made a
decision (and a very sound technical decision in my personal opinion) that
they would not provide an emulation layer that allowed 16 bit programs to
run. 32-bit programs run just fine, in my experience. As do 64-bit ones,
obviously.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgQ2xhcmtl?= 08-20-2005 06:50 PM

RE: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

It seems to be backwards compatible for everything except for device drivers.
All my software (Adobe, SLRN, Macromedia stuff) works.

Device drivers are not likely to be compatible because the address range is
so different - 32 bits versus 64 bits. The device drivers MUST be able to
support 64 bits in case some application program written for a sixty four bit
machine asks for that much data.

In other words, a 64 bit driver can support a 32 bit application, but a 32
bit driver can't support a 64 bit application.

Jud Hendrix 08-20-2005 06:53 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:04:01 -0700, jamiecccp
<jamiecccp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Also if its a software issue, how long will it be until Windows 64bit
>becomes backward compatible?

Please, let backward compatibility die, right here, right now.

jud

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 08-20-2005 06:57 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

There is always VMWare if you need to run those 16 bit apps on a native OS.
;)
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Colin Barnhorst MVP 08-20-2005 09:43 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

When Virtual PC is 64-bit compatible you can run 16-bit operating systems
that way. Virtual Server 2005 SP1 beta is already doing it.

Colin Barnhorst MVP 08-20-2005 09:44 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

Virtual Server 2005 SP1 beta is already doing it too.

Andre Da Costa 08-20-2005 11:09 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

But its beta.

Charlie Russel - MVP 08-21-2005 01:52 PM

Re: Why Isnt Windows 64bit Backwards Compatible?

To my mind, that's not really a solution. Since you are running them in a
different "machine", you have all the issues associated with that. Plus
Virtual PC support for x64 is still quite a ways away, and the going price
for Virftual Server is non-trivial.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64