Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Briefcase" has problems w XP-64 and XP-Pro32 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488863-briefcase-has-problems-w-xp-64-and-xp-pro32.html)

Sam Crawford 08-14-2005 11:31 PM

"Briefcase" has problems w XP-64 and XP-Pro32

I just reinstalled XP-Pro 32 bit on my laptop and am having problems with
"My Briefcase".

I created the briefcase on the laptop and dragged files and folders to it
from my XP-64 desktop. Later when I try to access the briefcase from the
XP-64 machine I get the message the briefcase is corrupt. When I try to
open it from the laptop (XP-32), it tells me that it is invalid and I need
to create it with an "updated" version of briefcase. Is this because of
XP-64?

Also, I just looked at a USB drive with my 64 bit machine. The briefcase
was created by XP-32. It had issues as well so I am recreating it with
XP-64 to see it it works better.

Any ideas? Would I have better luck creating the briefcase on my laptop
over the network from the 64 bit machine?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 08-15-2005 12:22 AM

Re: "Briefcase" has problems w XP-64 and XP-Pro32

Yep, it is an incompatibility, 64 bit to 64 bit for XP x64 My Briefcase.
This is a similar issue which affects the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.
________

We can only utilize stores created with x64 versions of the app. I will see
if there is going to be any update for briefcase that would allow us to see
a 32bit store.

Joseph Conway (Microsoft)
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dCBN?= 08-15-2005 12:24 AM

RE: "Briefcase" has problems w XP-64 and XP-Pro32

I don't know if this might help, but it's worth a shot.
You could add a shortcut with this : %windir%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate
That opens a 32 bit explorer window i think, because that's how i get my
winrar to work now. You could try making/sync the briefcase through that so
in theory you'd be working with both on a 32bit mode.

I personally because of different drive letters and my laptop and computer
have different directories for where my stuff is located to sync to, I use a
briefcase on both machines, and have them sync to the usb.

Hope some of that helps

Sam Crawford 08-15-2005 01:30 AM

Re: "Briefcase" has problems w XP-64 and XP-Pro32

On 14-Aug-2005, =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dCBN?= <MattM@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I personally because of different drive letters and my laptop and computer
>
> have different directories for where my stuff is located to sync to, I use
> briefcase on both machines, and have them sync to the usb.

I wish I could sync them with a USB drive. The folder I want to sync is
about 30GB. It contains my iTunes music files. I guess I will remember not
to buy or burn and files while I'm using my laptop :(

Sam Crawford 08-15-2005 01:34 AM

On 14-Aug-2005, "Sam Crawford" <sam@somewhere.com> wrote:

> I guess I will remember not
> to buy or burn and files while I'm using my laptop :(

I should have said "buy or rip" music.